coolant being burned, but compression is good.

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

coolant being burned, but compression is good.

Postby niceold600 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:05 pm

my 1986 dodge 600 2.5litre automatic has started to burn a lot of coolant. there's no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant.

i checked compression and it is excellent on all 4 cylinders, so i am wondering if there is some way for coolant to get into the combustion chamber via the intake ? it's hard to see the backside of the engine, but i see heater hoses joining the intake manifold somehow ... wonder if there is a problem back there ?

anyone have any insights into this problem ? any head gasket problem i have ever encountered was always pinpointed by a quick compression test, so this one has me puzzled.

thanks for any help you can offer.
niceold600

Car Information: 1986 dodge 600

Re: coolant being burned, but compression is good.

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi
If you're wondering about the intake , the 2.5 and 2.2 do have a water passage for Carb/Throttle Body heat , if there is a crack or corrosion you may be able to get some leakage into the intake... Usually if the head gasket goes you don't always get low compression but most times you will see an external sign of leakage...
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: coolant being burned, but compression is good.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:08 am

My 1989 Dodge Aries LE Coupe just over a year ago blew a headgasket the way you are describing. No overheating, coolant disappearing, no mixing oil, even had to add some every 200 miles.
It sounds as though your headgasket blew on towards the outside edge, forcing coolant out instead of in. It may start to affect your idle a little. It has since been replaced. :mrgreen:
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects