1984 Plymouth Reliant

Go here to view our cars!

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: 1984 Plymouth Reliant

Postby 88 aries » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:25 pm

you could just put a tarp over it for the winter and park it in the back yard. or something, but seriously i would hate to see it rust to pieces
88 aries

Postby 84reliantk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:10 pm

I am going to try my hardest to not let this car rust to pieces. i hpe to restore this car someday,
84reliantk

Car Information: 1984 Plymouth Reliant

Postby 88 aries » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:47 pm

well its a good thing that you pressure wash the undercarige, the front floors are the worst on these
88 aries

Postby 84reliantk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:48 pm

The floors on this car are very solid, there is no rust on them, just a very small amount of surface rust, the person that undercoated the car did a very good job for it to have lasted this long in the salt all these years, and have such minor rust.
84reliantk

Postby 84reliantk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:17 pm

Well, I have had a failure on my reliant. I went to start it to go home from school, and it started and there was a very wierd nocking sound, so i quickly turned it off. i came back later with my dad we started it up and tried to figure out what the nosie was. we thought that it was fireing at the wrong time, the we thought about it and we thought one of the valve followers may have broken, so last night we went out and vacume tested the motor, and the gauge was jumpy so we knew it must have been one of the valve followers, we took the air box and the valve cover off, we looked, and noticed that one of the valve followers was not in its place, it was on the other side of the cam, there was significant wear on the valve follower and on the cam, but only on two of the lobes, the rest had normal wear, so we have concluded that the oiler for that side of the cam is pluged preventing oil from getting to that part of the cam, causing excesive wear on those two lobes and followers. so i have decided that i am going to need a new cam and some new followers to fix it properly. i am going to try to find a good used one instead of buying a new one.
84reliantk

Previous

Return to Members' Rides