My ride 82' Mark Cross

Go here to view our cars!

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

My ride 82' Mark Cross

Postby wjajr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:45 am

Hi,

I have waited 26 years for a K-Car club.

I ordered this car last week of January 1982 from Framingham Chrysler, Framingham, Mass. It was delivered the third week of May. It has 68,200 miles**, never restored, I replaced the top last year.

Now reading 69,500 miles...

Off topic department:
March of 08' the Lebaron got a new stable mate; a 1967 Dodge Dart GT, 225ci. slant six with Holley 4V, headers, a hot cam, over sized valves, shift kit, 3.55 Sure Grip rear, and all new suspension:

Last edited by wjajr on Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wjajr

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Mark Cross Convertible

Re: My ride 82' Mark Cross

Postby dodgeariesguy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:50 pm

The interior colouring is so unique and so cool do you remember what that interior colour was called. I'd think it would have an interesting name!
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby Silverbeard » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:11 pm

Welcome wjajr, glad to have another original 82 in the club, you obviously have just used it as a summer toy to keep it in that condition. Mine has just about the same mileage on it. My parents bought it new, I have had it since 87 and other than repaint and new roof ,very few repairs.

Check out my post under Members, (My 82 Looks Like New, June 20 ) where Mike and Pete responded about their 82's with some photos.

( To Dodge1970, the interior is the Mark Cross Leather which I believe was standard on all of the original 82 Convertibles.

82 LeBaron, Mark Cross Edition.jpg
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby wjajr » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:58 am

The first few years I used the Lebaron as every day transportation in good old corrosive New England, puting on about 35,000 miles by 1986. After those years I have averaged 1000 miles a summer.

I started using liquid glass on this car around 1985. I find that stuff stands up to our nasty weather here in Maine. As for repairs, this thing eats front upper strut mounts, I'm on my fourth set.

Dose your car have the tape player?

There were only three no cost options for the 82' Mark Cross Convertible:
1. Tape, or no tape player
2. Mag wheels, or the classic 80's wire wheel covers.
3. White or mahogany paint

The list price on these cars was $14,255 US.
wjajr

Postby tanc83 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:30 am

A few 82's came as standard models. Crank windows no air and vinyl int. I know because I owned one for 5 yrs. My first K vertible. I did a ton of research on it.Mine had camel int. and was Manila Cream out side. I should have never of sold it.
Eric
tanc83

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler LeBaron Town&Country Convertible

Postby Silverbeard » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:15 am

Nope, no tape player, List price in Canada was $18,000 ( Guess that's how Chrysler made money, take a $6,000 K car, chop the top and add the leather and other luxuries and add $12,000 to the price).
Mine needs strut mounts , (my neighbour did the brakes last year and mentioned it) so next year I may treat it to mounts and new struts, shocks etc. at the same time, it is still all original in that department and it shows in the ride.

I have shown the brocheur that I have for the car, I made a copy and display it on the dash when I go to a car show. Can e mail in full detail if you want to print a copy if you don't have something like that.

Bye for now,
Martin

P1010626 copy.jpg

Scan10011 copy.jpg

Scan10012 copy.jpg
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby wjajr » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks, I have several brocheurs left from when I purchased the car.

I remember the econo models, as well as that light yellow, nice combo. I like a yellow convertible.

Last year I replaced the struts & mounts, shocks, and tires as thay needed freshing after 18 years. She rides & drives like new, but soooo underpowered. I have a new set of rear springs waiting to get installed to replace the nasty rusty coils, but haven't got around to it yet due to a little red neck garage project this year.

Below is this year's time & money black hole, a 1967 Dart GT with a tricked out /6:

Shot before pulling the head for over sized valves, porting, and a 0.075" shave to bump up compression a wee bit...
Last edited by wjajr on Mon May 17, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
wjajr

Postby Scott in Buffalo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi All...new to the site and look forward to exploring it more.

I have an '82 Mark Cross LeBaron similar to wjajr's with 54,000 miles. I just purchased it from a dealer on consignment in Illinois. You may have seen it on ebay during early October. The car is really sweet with all of the original documentation.

It was a pre-order model during Chrysler's special registration promotion in the Fall of 1981. Customers were required to place a $1,000 deposit in order to reserve their convertible for Spring '02 delivery. I have all of the letters that were sent to the original owner from Lee Iacocca including the gifts (Mark Cross umbrella, Mark Cross leather portfolio, photo of LeBarons on the assembly line, crystal key, and engraved gold dash plaque) that were periodically sent to customers in order to keep them excited about their reservation.

If anyone is unaware of this original program and would like to see images of the documentation and gifts, I'd be glad to post images here once I become more familiar with the site. They really are cool pieces of history to have along with the car.
Scott in Buffalo
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron Mark Cross Convertible

Postby 85TurboAries » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:33 pm

id love to see the gifts that it came wiith
1990 Grand Caravan
ASK ME ABOUT:
SMEC/SBEC Testing and Repairs
Adding a ROM port to SMEC/SBEC (for upgrades)
Radio Repairs
any other Electrical repairs needed
85TurboAries

Car Information: 1990 Dodge Grand caravan

Postby wjajr » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:44 pm

I don't recall the gold dash plaque, the uncut chrystal key has been MIA for fifteen years. The key will resurface someday, the rest of the promo items I have on hand as well as all the paper work from the purchase including the pre buy $1000 off deal docs.

WJAJR
wjajr

Next

Return to Members' Rides