1985 Chrysler LeBaron TC Wagon 2.6. 09-27-10

Go here to view our cars!

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: 1985 Chrysler LeBaron TC Wagon 2.6. 09-27-10

Postby 88 aries » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:47 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats great :lol: :lol: , now to time to swap in a 2.2 and be done with jap power
88 aries

Postby nszotovich » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Bad Karma, Justin. you better hope no one wishes your cars ill. Be part of the solution and not part of the problem.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby 89ARIES » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:53 am

Right now, I am feeling down about my car. I hope that 2.5 selfdestructive balancing shaft thing at 200,000 miles is an exception, and not the rule as the 2.5 did do the self-destructive
on our poor member in the other thread mentioned at 154,000 miles. He wants to save his car, will but probably end up junking at. I am going to say it right now:

THERE IS A SERIOUS LACK OF K-CAR TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE ON HERE AND A LOT OF TALK, BUT NO ACTION. I HAVE DONE MY BEST TO TRY TO ENCOURAGE SOME LEADERSHIP HERE, AND IF
WE REALLY WANT TO SAVE THESE CARS, WE NEED TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION AND NOT THE PROBLEM. WE NEED A 2.6 SUPPORT TEAM. ALL THE K-CAR LIMOS ARE 2.6s. NOW MY
CAR HAS TAKEN A DUMP AND I KNOW EXACTLY HOW THE OTHER FELLA FEELS. NO MONEY, NO KNOW-HOW, NOBODY CLOSE BY TO TRUST, AND THEREFORE THE CARS DIE. SO, ENOUGH
CAR BASHING AND MORE DOING. IF I HAD SOME DECENT MONEY IN THIS CLUB, I WOULD DONATE IT TO MEMBERS WHOSE K-CARS REALLY NEEDED IT. JUST MY TWO CENTS!
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:32 am

Unless you perform all your own work,have used parts sources nearby,have friends (or yourself) that have all the tools and equipment needed,can get parts at cut rate prices,probably keeping a vintage car with hundreds of thousands of miles on it is not a good idea.Parts are not easy to find.Specialty tools are rare.Probably even Chrysler dealers would shun a 1981-1989 K or even a 89-95 AA body for repairs due to unfamiliarity with the "old" New Chrysler products.
Its not a pretty picture,and only will get worse.
Had I not been able to do ALL my own work,I would have never bought my 88,even though it was only $200.
Nobody else bit on it when it was $800,600,400.......all because the owner was honest,the engine had a problem...and nobody wanted an old boxy K car with a "bad" engine.I am sure their visions were for rebuilt engines,used engines,nothing but trouble.....and a money pit. I bought it because I wasnt afraid of spending some money (what used car isnt going to cost money),I always wanted a K wagon,and working on it would be a pleasure after years of begrudgingly wrenching on troublesome GM vehicles.For me it worked out well.A lot of the parts I got were closeout specials,discounted due to being dropped....discontinued.Right now we are on the cusp of the 80s Chrysler products being no longer supported by the aftermarket,Chrysler gave up long ago.Its the sad truth,but unless you know where the remaining parts are,and where the proper techs are,its going to be nothing but an unhappy ownership experience.
I would love to see all 300+ million Americans owning a K car (tough though when only a bit over 2 million were sold total),and be able to buy parts for it at the local Chrysler LLC or NAPA store,and have no problem with the corner gas station doing any servicing needed,but reality is those who own a 20+ year old car usually dont have a lot of money,its their only car,and cannot afford any downtime....and reality is saying that parts are not as easy as that dream would be to obtain.
I fear that as people give up on their progressively declining cars,they will be forced to sell them as salvage to the pick a part yards across the country,and more will die only to be picked of few parts and summarily be shredded for their raw material value.
I only wish when that comes,somebody will step up and buy the car,someone willing to take on a worsening situation...the general decline of the 1st generation of Chrysler FWD vehicles.
If anyone has to sell,try to sell to a local/regional Chrysler "guy".....maybe someone will make use of what would otherwise be someone elses throwaway.
One's frustration is another's treasure.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby 88 aries » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 am

ill you say? ive never heard of that word, because every spring I change oil, change out all the fluids, check the timing belts, all the belts, check and double check all systems. plus I do the regular maintance required if needed, if something goes I get it replaced right way like my 81's temp coolent light swtich, replaced the next day, and it helps to have a service manual handy.

the best bet is to swap in a 2.2 carb or a 2.5 carb and when I mean 2.5 carb i mean taking the intake off a carbed 2.2 and placing it on a 2.5
88 aries

Postby 88 aries » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:02 am

my 1988 had worn out balance shafts we could see it, i have read that when they get high mileage they need to get realined. my 2.5 seems to be alright and prolly will be alright since I dont put a ton of miles on it
88 aries

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Yeah, but I would think if basic maintenance was done along the way and the body was good, driving
a 23 year old daily driver would be a good thing. Mine certainly was most of the time even without maintenance every day.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Previous

Return to Members' Rides