My 1993 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue 'EEK'

Go here to view our cars!

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: My 1993 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue 'EEK'

Postby sideburns2009 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:43 am

nszotovich wrote:Those three speeds were not the most efficient trannys. The four speeds were continually tweaked until they became pretty reliable. Everyone had early troubles with their four speeds. My 87 Taurus went through two rebuilds before 100k.Chrysler addressed the problem quicker than Ford.

Turns out the A604's biggest problem was the fact that the Dexron ATF that was originally used wasn't sufficient and also didn't have enough friction modifiers in it to account for the amount of slip the TCM allowed the clutches, in turn burning them to pieces. :lol: That's when ATF+3 was released and helped, somewhat, along with TCM reprogramming, tweaks, etc. Then along came ATF+4 and the 41TE (A604)'s after around 1998 and up had very few failures when the fluid and filter were changed occasionally.

I've never actually seen a Taurus that didn't have a slipping or shuddering transmission. They were real junk in the 1st and 2nd gen Taurus'. I have been told that ATF+4 does help with the shudder in those Ford tranny's. Not sure though.
sideburns2009

Car Information: 1993 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue

Postby sideburns2009 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Where the heck do you get parts for this car? My Bendix 10 brake system is failing, no one makes or sells driver side window regulators or rear air shocks. :evil:
sideburns2009

Car Information: 1993 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:00 pm

I think you can still get the brakes parts locally (via special order) (or at least you could a couple of years ago). But replacement parts are expensive. Some people have changed over the brake system to the more conventional one.

I think this Website (listed below) has both the Bendix ABS brake parts and the air level shocks still available and listed. If you order the air adjustable shocks make sure they will work with the original system - automatic load leveling. Some air shocks are to be manually set (each time with an external pump) and left, and then changed at another time (on another day). I think the original Chrysler ones had a sensor on the shock and used feedback to control the air pump for contuous load leveling . You can also disable the air leveling system and use convetional shocks. You have convetional rear coil springs with just air leveling shocks - and not the air bag suspension system which was on many Imperials and maybe some Fifth Avenues?

http://www.rockauto.com/
If you plan to order anything from RockAuto go the the Turbo Mopar website and get the discount code first.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/forum ... -Rock-Auto

I think window regulators are readily available both used and rebuilt on Ebay all the time. Sometimes brand new ones also show up.

In addition, there is a place that rebuilds the window regulator units but its expensive.
http://www.regulatorusa.com/product_det ... product=20

Or go to a junkyard.
One junyard search engine.
http://www.mypartshop.com/
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 am

Do yourself a favor and replace the load leveling out back with new dynasty shocks and springs from the same year. Springs are around $60 for the pair, shocks should be under $75 for a good pair.

You can remove the ABS, you need a non ABS car's booster/master cyl, proportioning valve, brake pedal and some skill with bending brake lines. Takes some time but works fine.

Regulators are available, just not too cheap. A junkyard door may be less than a new regulator. Try car-part.com to find one nearby. At least the regulators are easy enough to do.
MyDodgeDip

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:07 pm

MyDodgeDip wrote:You can remove the ABS, you need a non ABS car's booster/master cyl, proportioning valve, brake pedal and some skill with bending brake lines. Takes some time but works fine.

Don't you also need to change the rear brake setup from disc to drum to match the replacement proportioning valve and master cylinder? All my non ABS cars have had drum setup in the rear, while all my ABS cars have 4 wheel disc. Not sure if the rear spindles also need to be replaced. Probably, easiest, quickest, and lowest cost is to take a whole rear axle assembly (end/end) from a good low mileage junkyard car. I think parking brakes cables are also different.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby MyDodgeDip » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 am

I swapped mine and left the rear discs with no problem. Car stops great, no unusual brake wear.
MyDodgeDip

Previous

Return to Members' Rides