Who here bought a K-Car BRAND NEW?

Go here to view our cars!

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: Who here bought a K-Car BRAND NEW?

Postby capev86 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:16 am

The last new car my parents ever bought was a K car. it was a 1981 base model aries wagon 2.2 carb, 4 speed stick, it had a roof rack and i believe the a/c was dealer installed. it didn't even have a right side mirror (mopar didn't even punch mounting holes in all passenger doors until several years later so my dad drilled a hole and used an aftermarket one). color was white on blue vinyl. it replaced a 78 mustang II (not enough rear seat room for me at a year old in 1981). with depreciation what it is on new cars, my parents have purchased used ever since with good results. in november '88 they picked up an 86 aries wagon le with 2.5tbi (cream on almond) and 3 years to the month later they picked up an 88 le sedan 2.2 auto (gray on gray). the 86 had 63k on the clock (florida lease car that was shipped to a dealer in portsmouth, nh where my parents bought it) and the '88 sedan had 27k i think and was a private sale.

station wagons are popular in my family and so are suburbans. 90-91 we had the 81 and 86 k wagons and a classic 72 burb (bought in 83) and newly acquired 84 burb in the driveway. the 86 was my mom's d/d and primary family car until 1997 when i got my license. the '88 was my dad's car and beater for when we didn't need the wagon. in 98 they bought a 97 merc sable wagon (now my very rusty daily driver that still runs well with 216k on the clock) and they now have an 01 taurus wagon and picked up a 97 camry 4 cyl to fill the bill awhile after the trans crapped out in the 88 k sedan (lots of rust by that point also). he actually drove it to the junkyard under it's own power. had an accident with the 86 in fall of 99 and took 18 months fixing it, just to have the trans crap out after 3 weeks. it was a rebuilt trans but all that time sitting with the axles out may have caused the governor to gum up. kept falling out of top gear. so the car went home and sat until i could get to it (spend years tinkering, pulling the drivetrain, etc)

i bought myself a 72 suburban in pretty nice shape a couple years ago. i became smitten with them since i was 3 years and wanted a classic one like my dad's 72 (he had an 87 after the 84 and now has a 99....all our burbs have been 2wd, just mine is a 3/4 ton). now that my truck is paid off my mad money is going into resto-modding that 86 aries wagon. i'm looking at spending over $10k plus on the bodywork (rockers and floors are very bad from sitting 10 years) a lot of chassis and turbo parts i've already picked up (gonna be a 2.5 TII). she may not be fixed yet, but at least she is now sitting at the resto shop and not just collecting leaves in my parents back yard. first time she left that back yard since april 2001. never even been to my house. since i don't have a garage i will be using my parents to do the reassembly this winter while the snow flies. when the car is done she will be better than new (especially with all the hi-tech parts and improvements i'm making in the chassis and drive train department)

before i finish this long winded message, let me say i will be taking out a home equity loan to build a big garage/shop (w/ extra room a lift and parking the 40 year old famliy camper trailer also) on my property after my personal loan for the resto job is paid off. i want all my toys in out of the weather/moisture so they will last longer. my burb has held up pretty good with just a tarp over it the last couple years but i think i will double that up with a car cover under the tarp or get a temp garage for both the truck and the k car. if i get a tent garage i can put down another tarp to block the moisture coming up from underneath since there won't be snow blowing in under the truck. a dirt driveway really sucks when you have to park your cars outside. on the k car i'm having the entire undercarraige coated with 2 part poly bed liner so moisture won't be such a big problem in the short term. i asked the resto guy to do it on the top of the floorboards also (we all hate when water soaks through the carpet and rusts out the floor) and on the back side of the body panels (esp. rear quarter and roof) so they won't resonate so bad. i want this car to be quieter without adding too much weight. conventional sound insulation traps water.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby athomron » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:43 pm

In 1981 I was Manager, of Fleet Administration for the Commercial Credit Company, Inc. Under a mandate from senior management, we offered the Reliant and Aries for drivers qualifying for company cars. We ordered in excess of 500 K Cars that year. These magnificent little machines operated splendidly and helped lower our fleet cost per mile from $0.076/mile to $0.043/mile. The cars were sturdy as iron and the warranty was incredible. The K Cars made me look like a hero.

I took a lot of flack from some drivers at first, but the biggest critics became the K Cars' biggest fans. I ordered two of the first limos in 1984 and drive Chryslers today.
athomron

Car Information: '85 T & C convt, '85 T & C wagon

Postby nszotovich » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:42 pm

What a great testimonial to the K- car.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby mrfury68 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:51 am

My mom & dad, in the spring of 87, bought a brand new Reliant LE station wagon. My dad wasn't crazy about mini vans & he wanted a wagon. It took our neighborhood Chrysler/Plymouth dealer where they bought all of their Mopars, a few days to find one, & they had to do a dealer trade but mom & dad got their new wagon. They got nearly 10 years out of it before it was totaled in an accident, mom walked away with a mild concussion. That wagon served them well through the years as I was an adult & was able to do the maintenance & repair work on it for my dad. My dad only bought 2 brand new cars in his life & they were both station wagons. The first being a 76 Plymouth Volare the second his 87 K wagon. The Reliant was a much better car than that Volare.
mrfury68

Car Information: 87 Plymouth Reliant LE

Postby DavidLee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:52 pm

We bought a new 1983 LeBaron vert upon our return from an overseas assignment with IBM who promptly sent us back to Asia the next year. We had to sell the 83 but when we returned to the USA in 86 we bought a new LeBaron woody convertible and sold that when the AC unit went out, off warranty (twice!) Recently my wife lamented the selling of our old LeBarons so I just surprised her with a 1986 Woody LeBaron convertible that was owned by the Littleton, NH Chrysler dealer for over 20 years. It is in mint condition and my bride is giddy! And I made enough brownie points to last a few more years.
Dave

1948 Packard Super Eight
1986 LeBaron Town & Country Convertible
Port Saint Lucie, FL
DavidLee

Car Information: Chrysler, LeBaron, 1986 T&C convertible

Postby capev86 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:08 am

DavidLee...show us pics!!!

Maybe I'll catch you at a car show since you are nearby....Eliot, Maine is right across the river from Portsmouth, NH.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby 80sgal » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:18 pm

I purchased a brand new 1986 Chrysler Lebaron convertible base back in 1986 and had it for 11 years. Last year I was able to find a 1985 Chrysler Lebaron Turbo Mark Cross convertible. It was not brand new, of course, but in very good condition and am at the present time, investing some money into it to keep it running good.

Wish me luck!
80sgal

Car Information: 1985 Chrysler Lebaron Turbo Mark Cross Convertible

Postby 86dodge600esconvert » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Never bought a new one but had an 82 Lebaron 2 door with a 4 speed standard. Was a nice car.
86dodge600esconvert

Car Information: 1986 Dodec 600 es convertable

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:35 pm

The 82 LeBaron Coupe 2dr has been unsuccessfully eliminated, minus only about 100 still on the road. We have a very nice on here in LA belonging to one of our members, who brings it to shows.
I have only seen a 2nd one like it in 3 years, and it was repainted, so that was a good sign. If you ever find one again, grab it. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:37 pm

My first K-Car was a 1989 Dodge Aries LE Coupe with 52,000 miles in 2003.

My current car is still the same 1989 Dodge Aries LE Coupe with 230,000 miles in 2013.

My car for the foreseeable future, will still be my 1989 Dodge Aries LE Coupe.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

PreviousNext

Return to Members' Rides