New member 87 Reliant K!

Go here to view our cars!

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

New member 87 Reliant K!

Postby Elarson88 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:47 am

Hi everyone. I picked up this car on the cheap, with the intention of a quick flip. After hearing the previous owners very moving story about how it was his mothers car, who passed away 3 years ago, and how sad he was to see the car go, yet happy believing it was going to a good home, I feel compelled to keep it at least for a while. It's pretty rough, plenty of rust and dents, but runs great. I'm hoping this site will be a good resource to make a half decent driver out of this 26 year old car! I understand the back of the bench seat is not adjustable? I find this position very uncomfortable. Do any of you know what other models I could swap a better pair of bucket seats in from? ( obviously I know about other reliants and aries' but there are none in my local junkyards)
Elarson88

Car Information: 1987 Reliant K

Re: New member 87 Reliant K!

Postby aussiewoody » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:42 am

Sorry that I can't answer your question but good luck with your Reliant
Gary
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Postby carguyray » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:21 am

The seat tracks should be identical for any "Similar type seat" (buckets if you have buckets, etc) from the following:
Lebaron (4dr and wagon)
Lebaron convertibles 84-86 (ONLY IF your car already has bucket seats).

Some "could work's" are:
Lancer/Lebaron GTS: I took a pair of front buckets from a GTS and put them in my daily driver Dodge 600ES Convertible. The seats worked ALMOST (GTS's are 4dr's, Convertibles are 2 doors so they don't 'move forward') after I took them off the track for the GTS and put them on the tracks for the 600ES.

I have a lot of other suggestions, but instead of going into it all here I'll just say that if you're interested in more please PM or Email me. I'll be happy to bore you to tears with all the options I know can work.

Ray
carguyray@yahoo.com
carguyray

Postby Elarson88 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:56 am

Thanks! I have a bench seat, so I guess I'm stuck with a bench either way. Is the back of a lebaron bench seat adjustable? If so I'll keep an eye out for one of those!
Elarson88

Postby 86dodge600esconvert » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:12 pm

You might be able to put some spacers under the seat track or between the seat track and the seat. You might be able to make an adjustment ( bend,slot holes make new holes) where the seat back attaches to the seat bottom.
86dodge600esconvert

Car Information: 1986 Dodec 600 es convertable

Postby aussiewoody » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Some great suggestions on here!
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Postby carguyray » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:39 am

You'll find some of the higher end models have more adjustments, so look for higher options. You should also find the seats for the 83-87 New Yorkers (All I've seen are leather) should fit just fine in your car.

Also, if you really want buckets, look under the INSIDE 'side' of the seats, right about where you'd expect the 'inside' of a bucket seat should fall, and you should have the holes in the frame to mount to. A problem with the K-platform cars is the front seat bolts are actually horizontal to the ground so look for that on the front edge of the 'hump' where the seat sits.

You may also be able to use seats from the newer style New Yorkers (88-92) but please MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE! I know the car's built on an extended platform K car, but I'm not 100% sure it's not widened. I'd hate to have you get 'stuck' with some seats.
carguyray

Postby Elarson88 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:36 am

Thanks for all the info! Headed to the junkyard this weekend!
Elarson88

Return to Members' Rides