My Dodge 600 ES Turbo Convertible

Go here to view our cars!

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

My Dodge 600 ES Turbo Convertible

Postby taxiguy » Mon May 18, 2009 5:12 am

Hello everyone, my name is Max and I am a student currently living here in Lansing, Michigan. I'm new here and this is my K-car story:

One month ago I was browsing through craigslist and I happened upon a 1984 Dodge 600 ES Turbo convertible for sale. I have always liked K-cars, even if the sedans, coupes, and wagons are considered kinda dorky and undesirable by some people (not me, but some people). The convertibles however, are cool to pretty much everyone (that is, I have not found anyone yet who has said they are un-cool). To make this one even cooler, it is the rare (only 1768 units built) ES Turbo model from its debut year. Pretty much it's just a regular 600 ragtop with blacked out trim, an awesome leather interior with bucket seats, floor shift, and digital dashboard. Oh yes, and I cannot forget the 146 HP Turbocharged engine of course! While most K-cars are quite slow (sorry guys, but it's the truth! :mrgreen: ) this one is surprisingly peppy. 146 HP in a little 2600 pound car is not bad! Anyway, to top it all off this one had only 19,000 original miles! This meant however that it came at a price of $4000, a lot for a 25 year old K-car. This was right one the edge of my price range, and while I could probably get a much more modern and practical 10-year-old Lumina or Taurus for the same price, I figure what’s the fun in that? I want a car that stands out, and doesn’t just blend in with the rest of traffic. And this cool old Dodge was the perfect candidate! I knew I had to have it. After two days, some negotiating, and a parting with $3600 dollars, I had this beautiful silver streak in my driveway. Now I take it everywhere I go, and I leave the top down as much as is possible (I once drove like that at 42 degrees!). Right now the car is in the shop for a quick repair to the CV joint boot (made of rubber, which deteriorates with age as much as with mileage) but after it’s out it’ll be ready for many more months and years (hopefully!) of hassle free driving fun.

Here are some pictures:

Here it is with my other car, a 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis (which is for sale now, if anyone is interested. Great condition, only $2100!)

Anyway, that's my story and I hope you've enjoyed it!

Cheers

- Max
Last edited by taxiguy on Tue May 19, 2009 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
taxiguy
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 ES Turbo

Re: My Dodge 600 ES Trubo Convertible

Postby Purplegrasshopper » Tue May 19, 2009 12:07 am

Welcome, and very nice 600!
Purplegrasshopper
Car Fan

Car Information: None

Re: My Dodge 600 ES Turbo Convertible

Postby Butch » Tue May 19, 2009 2:32 am

Put a mechanical boost controller on it and set the boost up to 13PSI, it'll be faster yet. 8)
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Chief » Tue May 26, 2009 8:15 pm

"WOW" now that's an incredible find! The previous owner really took care of it, and you really did your homework. It is worth every dime you paid for it, and more. "CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME!!!"

Peace,

Chief
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby CltorianIII » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:09 am

hey you think you could email me some more pics of that dodge. i have an 85 ES Turbo Convertible that i just bought 02/12/2010 for $1500 Has 112,694 miles on it. i love it its identical to yours. im in south jersey but ive been out to W.I. and I.L. this past summer. long drive lmao. it has after market 16's polished aluminum wheels on it but the previous owner is giving me the stock wheels, like in your wheels photo that are in great condition. i just joined this site only because of the car! i dont know how to make an avatar either
CltorianIII

Car Information: '85 Dodge, ES 600 Turbo Convertible

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 am

Unfortunately, I think taxiguy sold it.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby dodgeariesguy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:10 am

89ARIES wrote:Unfortunately, I think taxiguy sold it.

Yes he sold it and bought a 1992 Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertible with a 3.0L V6 which he recently sold along with his Toyota Avalon to buy a Ford Focus which he is now looking to replace as he is having transmission troubles, so thats Taxiguy's passed few months in wrap. :lol:
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Return to Members' Rides