1984 New Yorker Door Cards

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1984 New Yorker Door Cards

Postby 84NewYorker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Hey all, my power locks are broken around the whole car, and I’ve opted to replace them, but I need to get the door cards off first, I can’t see any visible screws that seem to be holding the card on, but I don’t want to go crazy and just pull the card off with brute force, any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Andrew

1984 New Yorker
1986 Plymouth Reliant
84NewYorker

Car Information: 1984 New Yorker 2.6l

Re: 1984 New Yorker Door Cards

Postby mikey Cee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:09 pm

I take it by door cards you are referring to the trim panels that finish the entire inside door surface areas. There are probably two dozen or so spring steel push clips around the 2 sides and door bottoms. These clips are approximately 8" to 10" apart. Just take a putty knife with a stiff blade and pop them outward. You can use a metal or plastic blade but just be firm but gentle as you can "rip" the metal clips loose from the hardened cardboard rear panel surfaces. Try not to bend things side ways as that will make it more difficult to remount these clips back into their respective holes in the metal door. A small steel flat bar also can be used. I use a rubber mallet to pop them back in when reinstalling. Once the panels are loose then you tug or push the panels upwards to free them from the window channel areas. They can be rather difficult to "let go" sometime but will eventually lift out. You sometimes have to be persuasive but not wild at it either. Also there could be several sheet metal screws behind armrest areas etc. where the central parts of the panels are anchored to the door frames. Mike
mikey Cee

Car Information: 1986 lebaron convertible less than 36,000 miles

Return to Mechanic's Corner