Trunk leaking.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Trunk leaking.

Postby 1983EClass » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Just a question, without looking at my trunk too hard. is there away to keep it shut tighter? Is it in the latch/lock mechanism? or a combination of the arms/spring that the hood is attached to?
1983EClass

Car Information: 1983 E Class, Black on silver w/ red cloth inside.

Re: Trunk leaking.

Postby Silverbeard » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:21 pm

When the lid is latched, is there any play in it indicating a loose latch assembly. How does the lid align with the body?
Otherwise check the weather stripping around the lid for deterioration and check the bottom and around wheel wells for rust thru.
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby 1983EClass » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:16 am

There is no play at the latch and no free moment up or down at the latch. but nearer the rear deck and rear glass it appears to be the arms are not holding tension? that make sense? no loose bolts or at locking mechanism. Yea i had ice in the bottom of the trunk, about 1/2 an inch. and i did not think to check the inside of the wheel well its sort of a catch all.. so I wouldn't be surprised if it has ice aswell. still. even.
weather stripping is in great shape, and straight wise the the trunk aligns with the gaps well. theres no left or right play. it all seems to be comming from the rear of the trunk not being held down well enough from the inside.
1983EClass

Postby 1983EClass » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:23 am

Holes are unclogged / drilled and water gone, and once i figure out how to take the trunk lid off and reshape those arms that hold it on it will keep leaking through the rear..

side note its my birthday today, and this car is getting a full tune up
anyone have a list of what she needs?

she needs an oil sensor dunno what that part number is.
and the map? sensor replaced. plugs, wire, cap, rotor, filters, oil, oilfiter.

I would like to get a good list of parts i should use. if anyone has a good parts list please do tell.
1983EClass

Postby 88 aries » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:14 am

well lets see 2.6 :cry:

carb
fuel filter
oil change
adjust the valves
plugs and wires

as for the oil sending unit just stop in at your local mopar dealership, the catalog goes back to 1984 as far as I know
88 aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:16 pm

I will look up the mopar number for your oil sensor in my 83 parts book. Can you tell me the details on your car 2.6 liter or 2.2 liter? Do you have an oil pressure gage in your car or an idiot light or both? I'm not familiar with the instrument set-up in the E-class.

Here is one link with an aftermarket sensor if you have a gage. Price is on the high side.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Airtex-1 ... ccessories

Go to www.rockauto.com
Enter you car dealils and go through the pull down menus to find the part and you will come up with a bunch aftermarket options corresponsing to both types of sensors. You can also probably still pick-up the part you are looking for locally at any auto parts store.

Best Regards,
Ron
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 88 aries » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:07 am

the E class instrument is the same found on 83-85 lebarons, it only has an engine light, which opperates the over heating warning, and the low oil pressure light, two combined into one, very confusing as my 81 Reliants engine light came on, after a little trouble shooting, it was the cooling sending unit switch, and when I took it out, it was pitted really bad. No K-car had an oil pressure gauge in analog form.
88 aries

Postby 1983EClass » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:30 am

Yea.. no the issue is the unit sending the computer and me hearing "Your oil pressure is low" constantly

any details on the valves?

its a 2.6 mikuni carb, looking for its 100k mile tune up here.
1983EClass

Postby 88 aries » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:04 pm

sorry I dont have any info on adjusting the valves, but it should be done. I have no idea where the oil sending unit is on a 2.6 engine, I wish I could be more help but im more of a 2.2/2.5 guy. if it was a 2.2 id be going over everything.
88 aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:21 pm

"No K-car had an oil pressure gauge in analog form."

No K-car that you are aware of has an oil pressure gauge in analog form. Look in dealer parts book and you will see that it was an option on some K-cars.

Oil Pressure switch for 83 2.6 liter is mopar # 2889298. Standard brand aftermarket part # is PS-11X.

By the way - are you sure you have good oil pressure - ever check it with a gage?

Best Regards,
Ron
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Next

Return to Mechanic's Corner