Trunk leaking.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: Trunk leaking.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:30 pm

I am also not a 2.6 liter guy, so I can't give you any firsthand advice on the valve adjustment, but I will send you the relevant adjustment information from the 1983 service manual when I get a chance. By the way - I think the timing chains on the 2.6 liter cars need regular adjustments and/or replacement and it is not a simple task.

Also, if you intend to keep the car I advise you to buy a set of 1983 factory service manuals for the K car (not the Chiltons' version- the ones the Chrysler dealer uses). Go to Ebay and wait for an inexpensive set to come up. Even if you don't work on the car yourself - you can have it to give to your local mechanic to use for reference.

Best Regards,
Ron
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 1983EClass » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:40 pm

I can only assume the oil press is not low hence the car NOT sounding like marbles.
1983EClass

Car Information: 1983 E Class, Black on silver w/ red cloth inside.

Postby 88 aries » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:47 pm

K-CAR_WAGON wrote:"No K-car had an oil pressure gauge in analog form."

No K-car that you are aware of has an oil pressure gauge in analog form. Look in dealer parts book and you will see that it was an option on some K-cars.

Oil Pressure switch for 83 2.6 liter is mopar # 2889298. Standard brand aftermarket part # is PS-11X.

By the way - are you sure you have good oil pressure - ever check it with a gage?

Best Regards,
Ron

umm ok IDK what you are smoking but there was never an option for oil pressure gauge

1981-1983- engine light= engine temp and low oil pressure
1984-1989=oil pressure warning light only.

only on fleet K-cars there was an option of a gauge
and for the digital dash boards they had an oil pressure gauge/
88 aries

Postby area310dude » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:22 pm

88 aries wrote:sorry I dont have any info on adjusting the valves, but it should be done. I have no idea where the oil sending unit is on a 2.6 engine, I wish I could be more help but im more of a 2.2/2.5 guy. if it was a 2.2 id be going over everything.

This one I know!

The oil sending unit on a 2.6 is just above where the oil filter is located. You would have to go under the car to replace it. There is a wire that slides onto the connector in the back of the unit.

By the way, the engine warning light on a 81-83 is very important information to tell if your engine is in big trouble, and you should watch if it lights up briefly when you start to turn the ignition key. This means the warning light is available to give you important information when you really need it, and avoid a ruined engine.

If the engine warning light does not light up, the sensor could be disconnected.

What other scenario might cause the warning light to be out?
area310dude

Previous

Return to Mechanic's Corner