hvac issue

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

hvac issue

Postby 86newyorker » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:37 am

Hello
I have a 86 new yorker turbo and the following problem. The coolant sensor, which is has been replaced twice by me, cannot be pluged in. If i do then the fan does not always work. once it is plugged in it kills the distributor. I leave it unplugged now and the fan runs the entire time the engine is on and the power loss light stays on. Any ideas? Thanking you in advance.
86newyorker

Car Information: 1986 chrysler new yorker turbo

Re: hvac issue

Postby RichG » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:23 pm

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that, when plugged in, the car dies ("it kills the distributor")? When it's not plugged in, both car and fan run constantly? Is this a new development, or since you've aquired it? If you're not the original owner, and I suspect you're not, and I would look at two things; One, that a previous owner had the problem, and in the attempt to fix it, reversed the polarity of the sensor line so it now is shorting out at the block or, two, look for a faulty fan relay ( corroded terminals or a bad ground, or for that matter, a totally shot relay). In a linear sense, the coolant sensor electrically feeds a relay which switches the fan on or off. The problem exists in that simple circuit. The coolant sensor itself is an unlikely cause.
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby 86newyorker » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:19 pm

The vehicle runs ok for a few days then the distributor burns out and car dies. I do not know if it is one or more problems but I will try your suggestions RichG and thank you
86newyorker

Car Information: 1986 chrysler new yorker turbo

Postby Hemi-Dude » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:05 pm

86newyorker wrote:Hello
I have a 86 new yorker turbo and the following problem. The coolant sensor, which is has been replaced twice by me, cannot be pluged in. If i do then the fan does not always work. once it is plugged in it kills the distributor. I leave it unplugged now and the fan runs the entire time the engine is on and the power loss light stays on. Any ideas? Thanking you in advance.

What in the world is hvac? That's not a Chrysler term.
And what do you mean "the distributor burns out?
Please explain both.
Hemi-Dude

Postby RichG » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:49 am

HVAC is usually a term used for structures. It stands for "Heating, Ventilation, (and) Air Conditioning".
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby Hemi-Dude » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 pm

You wrote on Dec 14, 2008 the following.
"I have a 86 new yorker turbo and the following problem. The coolant sensor, which is has been replaced twice by me, cannot be pluged in. If i do then the fan does not always work. once it is plugged in it kills the distributor. I leave it unplugged now and the fan runs the entire time the engine is on and the power loss light stays on. Any ideas? Thanking you in advance."

Today I read your definition;
HVAC is usually a term used for structures. It stands for "Heating, Ventilation, (and) Air Conditioning".

Very enlightening, BUT we are not in the Heating/Air-Conditioning business here. We are auto mechanics, so the term heater or air conditioning would be more understandable to us mechanics.
So how does this relate to the engine management system? This is neither a heating or air conditioning related problem.
As you have received some information from RichG on Dec 14th 2008, DID THAT RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM?
Those of us who offer help, seldom get any word back whether it has been of help or the problem remains unresolved.
Do you wish to let us know? You have not yet shed any light on the question, "In what way does the distributor BURN OUT?
What part in the distributor do you have to replace when it does burn out?

I'd try to work with you if you fed me a little more clear information as to what might have been done to cause this problem. Did it appear out of the blue, so to speak? What led up to it?
You say the coolant sensor has been replaced twice. What was wrong with the original one? Did it cause this problem to begin with? Why was it replaced?
It sort of feels like interrogation by Gibbs on NCIS, doesn't it? Well, we need to know a little so we can help you.

So please get back to us with some answers, either it's fixed or it's not.
Hemi-Dude

Postby dodgeariesguy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Topic is locked until 86newyorker sends a PM to me about what has been done about the issue. This has been done to pervent anymore help which could be used on other topics. Will be unlocked after we here something from the topic's creator.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Return to Mechanic's Corner