PLEASE Help Needed

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: PLEASE Help Needed

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 pm

There is a way to check the computer by using a multi-meter, a pinout chart and directions. They should be available through one of those computer programs shops use to pull up wiring diagrams and test procedures. I had one for a fuel injected K car that came from the shop down the block.

There is also a factory diagnostic scanner for lean burn and electronic spark computers. It's impossible to find and hard to use. I own the only one I've ever seen.

MyDodgeDip

Postby yesdear » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Thank you here is today's results. Found out the wrong spark plugs were installed in the car. We put the right ones in and it stopped surging. I also found out I bought the wrong computer for the car and that was why it did not work. Ordered what I have been told is the right one will install it as soon as the parts store gets it in. we ordered # 79-3888 by cardone.
It is on Rock auto web site but on previous advice we ordered it from our local parts store. I sure hope this is the right one this time!
The only other issue(that we know of) is we need to fix a black box at the top on the left I think the book refers to it as a VENT MODULE it is leaking oil. The part store can not find one listed.
Thanks again for all the advise will keep you posted.
What I really want is to find the guys who decided that emissions on these cars was a good thing! I want to tie him to the car and tell him I will let him loose after he figure's out what in ____ is wrong with it. I am sure those guys never even opened a hood in their whole life!!
yesdear

Car Information: 1982 Dodge 400 convertible

Postby yesdear » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:42 pm

IT RUNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT RUNS !!!!!!!!
No skipping, no surging, no hesitation, it actually runs well ! Went up a hill no problems! So after 10 pages of post and endless help from all you guys, 15 mechanics under the hood the final problem was...... a mechanic do not know which one, put in high performance spark plugs that the car could not run on. We pulled them out and they were black. I do believe this will be my last post on this subject! All that is left is to find the little vent module and actually drive it and enjoy it. We went to dinner tonight to celebrate the end of a long frustrating road!
Thank you all again for all your help and advise, we are hoping to attend the next show in New Jersey and meet some of you. Will watch for dates on the site , THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH !!!!!!! Pat and Mike
yesdear

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:02 am

Hallelujah! Good for you! Could you please send us a video of you cruising in the convertible. :D
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby yesdear » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:13 am

It will be more like flying we are both on CLOUD NINE!!! I never thought we would see this day. I re read all the posts today to see if we had missed something. Put new plugs in reset the timing (by ourselves) and took it for a drive. We could not believe how well it ran. Tomorrow we will try and fix the oil leak THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH !!!!!
yesdear

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi Pat and mike,

Congradualtions, what wonderful news! I'm so happy you can finally enjoy your car.

On the PCV module, which is what I think your talking about with the leak issue, if it's not actually cracked or broken the fix is fairly easy. If it's cracked or broken you will likely have to do a little junk yard hunting as I doubt Chrysler services this part any longer. It was replaced on later cars with a re-design because they were prone to leaking. If it's simply leaking remove the valve cover and carefully clean all ther oil and old sealer off both the mounting flanges for both valve cover and the mateing surfaces on the engine. Also remove the rubber gasket srips over the cam towers in the valve cover. The PCV module should slip out of its rectangular cut out in the valve cover. Again clean all the oil away from the surrounding area and PCV module surfaces. At the auto parts store get a new cheap cork valve cover gasket kit and tube of black RTV form in place gasket material, something like Permatex Ultra Black. Apply a 1/8" bead of black RTV around the PCV module mounting and slide it back in position, let it cure over night. Next throw away the cork valve cover gaskets and use only the black cam tower strips, seal the ends of eack srtip with a small dab of RTV. Now run a 1/8" bead of black RTV along the valve cover mounting flanges and circle each mounting bolt hole. Make sure all surfaces are clean and dry before you start. Place the valve cover back on the engine and install the bolts. tighten the bolts from the center of the cover outward and don't sqeeze out all the RTV. Again let it set overnight for the RTV to cure. You should be all set and no more leaks. The key to using RTV sealers is all surfaces need to clean and free of any trace of oil or old sealer. The pattern for the RTV on the valkve cover flanges should be illustrated in your shop manaual. If the PCV valve grommet is hard and leaking you can get those separately, if you have this whole thing apart you may want to replace it also.

Good luck and again i'm so glad your persistance has paid off.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby yesdear » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi Pete:
Thank you for all your help, if it wasn't for you guys we would still be going in circles. I really hope we get to meet you at a car show soon. If you are going to be at one please let us know! Thank you again for all your help!! On our way now to get the gasket stuff driving the convertible! Pat and Mike
yesdear

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Glad to read your problem is solved!!

Who would have thought the wrong plugs were used???

Now you can enjoy your car!!

Regards,

Jack
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby yesdear » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Thanks Pete oil leak fixed. Went for a long ride.....no problems!!!yeah, invited to do a car show cruise next Saturday. Will bring flyers in case there are any other kcars!
Yes Jack who would of thought of spark plugs!!! So glad its running. My husband had a set of keys made for me today.. I guess we are officially married 8 years later I got the keys LOL
yesdear

Postby yesdear » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Does anyone know where we can purchase red carpet floor mats for the 82 dodge 400?
yesdear

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanic's Corner