Replaced Fuel Filter, Now won't start. 89 Plymouth Reliant K

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Replaced Fuel Filter, Now won't start. 89 Plymouth Reliant K

Postby Timbone1343 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm new here so let me start by giving a description of the car.
I have a 1989 Plymouth Reliant K LE.
62k Miles
We just got the car last weekend and I wanted to change out the filters and plugs before I put it on the road.

The coil,Ignition module and injector were all replaced by the seller.

I got it home fine and it ran great, I replaced the air filter and the fuel filter and now it won't start. It turns over but it wont start.

Fuel filter replacement process was as follows.
1. Remove in-hose.
2. Remove out-hose.
3. Remove old Filter.
4. Replace out-hose.
5. Replace in-hose.
6. Mount Fuel filter.

One thing I noticed about these lines is that they are very soft. The rubber is almost like melted and sticking to my hands. This might be due to the gas on my hands, I don't know.

Now the car won't start. I double checked the in and out hoses are correct and the fuel is flowing in and out of the filter.

I am still waiting for my repair manual in the mail but my next idea was to get some gas and dribble it in the intake while I have my buddy crank the motor to see if it's getting spark at least.
[EDIT] I just remembered where the injector is and I should be able to see the gas come out if it's working so I may not even need to dribble gas in if its working... Last night I was trying to do it by myself so I couldn't see the injector.

Assuming I have spark, Do I need to maybe bleed the air out of the lines somehow?

Thanks in advance!
Timbone1343

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K LE 1989

Re: Replaced Fuel Filter, Now won't start. 89 Plymouth Relia

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi,

Is there fuel reaching the inlet of the Throttle Body unit up front? Also, do you know you really have spark? Those soft rotted out fuel lines sound problematic to me. i wonder if a small piece of some thing broke loose and is clogging up the fuel injector screen filter or fuel inlet of the throttle body. It's a good practice to always replace those rubber fuel lines when replacing the filter. Although it could be something unrelated to the fuel filter change, it's likely since the car ran before you changed the filter it has something to do with the last work done, which was the filter.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Timbone1343 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've got a few more ideas now. I'll let you know how it works out.
Timbone1343

Postby Timbone1343 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 pm

I talked to the mechanic who the seller said worked on it.
He said that he didn't actually work on it. He just told the seller what was wrong and he did the work.
He said that they were having an intermittent issue with getting spark and eventually made it to the ASD as a source of the problem
He decided it was a good idea to use some other similar relay instead of ordering the real part.
My repair manual is on the way still so I don't know the original part #.
Can anyone help me with finding the original part number for the ASD relay or possibly somewhere online that sells it??
Thanks!
Timbone1343

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi,

My 89 parts book calls out P/N 4504204 for the ASD ( fuel pump shutdown) relay. Rockauto at rockauto.com lists them. Watch the Rockauto listings as they seem to have several types listed under 89 Reliant, make sure the one you select lists the original 4504204 number as there seems to be different pin configurations.

With the original Mopar number you may be able to find other online sources, also try Ebay.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Pete in NH

Postby Timbone1343 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks! With the part# I found it at autozone under a different name..

They call it a "Duralast/Relay - Decelerate Fuel Cut-Off" Duralast Part#19433 , 4 blade terminal O.E.M. #4504204
Timbone1343

Postby Timbone1343 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Well, the relay came in and made no difference. I am going to take it to the shop. I don't know where to start with this problem and I don't have the money to try one thing after another hoping its the right solution.
Timbone1343

Postby Pete in NH » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:17 am

Hi,

If your up for some trouble shooting. First when you turn the key to the run position but not to the crank position do you hear the fuel pump start briefly with a "whirring " sound? Did you check for spark by pulling the high voltage wire that goes between the coil and center of the distributor cap at the cap end and hold it 1/8 inch from the engine block while some one cranks the engine? And finally , if the fuel pump does start, is the fuel making it up to the inlet on the throttle body? If an engine has fuel and spark it will at least try to fire. If you find you have no spark loosen the two screws holding on the distrutor cap , crank the engine and see if the distributor rotor is turning.

If your up for these checks post back the results and we'll see where to go from there, good luck.
Pete in NH

Postby Butch » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:06 am

Try cleaning the connection at the fuel pump, my Kids 86 Lebaron had a no start due to a dirty connector there. If the punp runs the ASD relay is good. Try putting the old filter back on, maybe the new one has a restriction in it.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Timbone1343 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:18 pm

The fuel pump and filter were good.

I did test the coil and it was not getting power.

I can't remember what the mechanic said it was but i remember it was a distributor something.. Not the cap but a controller or charger maybe? I can't remember what he called it.

It's running now, next step is plugs oil and tires.
Last edited by Timbone1343 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timbone1343

Next

Return to Mechanic's Corner