1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5L TBI problem..

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: 1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5L TBI problem..

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Pete the car has 92,000.

I checked pretty much all the connections while I had the p.s kick panel off, unplug, looked for crud, nothing, replugged.

This may or may not be of any value as far as info goes...but, 4 thousand miles ago.....I had the fuel pump, fuel sock, fuel filter replaced.

It ran better than it ever had.................for about 50 miles... :roll:

Then it reverted back to the way it had been running, which was a slight hesitation at highway speed (55mph-60), which finally someone with knowledge of the cars, UNPLUGGED the CT sensor, then set the timing, then plugged it back in, took care of hesitation, but still seemed like it did not have very much power. Even after timing was set correctly, it did not seem like it had much power, and the hesitation has reared its ugly head now and then, until what I have now is this loss of power under acceleration (sometimes) and gas mileage that went from 27 mpg highway with the air on, to 20 mpg withOUT the air on.

But for those 50 miles of driving it right after the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel sock was replaced, it was like drivng the car the way it was new. smooth, responsive, as far as a 4cyl. with 90 hp goes and the pick up was good.

Then all of a sudden after the 50th mile was put on it, it reverted right back to the way it was before fuel pump, etc: was replaced.

I was so happy for those first 50 miles, I thought I had finally found the problem.

Anyways... I will check those connections up by the battery, especaily to the power module...

Thanks for the info
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Pete in NH » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi,

From what you said this may still be a fuel delivery problem. Has the throttle body ever been cleaned or received any attention? Take a good look at the throttle body unit. If you see signs of leaking around the body or a build up of varnish deposits down the throat of the throttle body it could be time for a good cleaning and new set of gaskets.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby MyDodgeDip » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:06 am

Was the fuel pump sock dirty? If the tank is cruddy and rusty the new sock could be clogging up too.
MyDodgeDip

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Pete in NH wrote:Hi,

From what you said this may still be a fuel delivery problem. Has the throttle body ever been cleaned or received any attention? Take a good look at the throttle body unit. If you see signs of leaking around the body or a build up of varnish deposits down the throat of the throttle body it could be time for a good cleaning and new set of gaskets.

Over the course of 10,000 miles I have ran 2 cans of Seafoam. I also paid close attention to the injector to make sure I had a nice spray coming out and not a dribble during idle, and it sprays a fairly nice pattern.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 pm

MyDodgeDip wrote:Was the fuel pump sock dirty? If the tank is cruddy and rusty the new sock could be clogging up too.

I still happen to have the old fuel pump and sock...... I'll look at it here in a few minutes....seems like it didn't look bad...but can't be for sure.??? memory isn't that good! I'll check it out though.

So if the old sock looks cruddy and rusty.....I guess then I should look at replacing the gas tank??

Ya would think my ole blind, crippled ass could catch as break!! :lol:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi,

If you find the tank really does have a lot of rust and crud in it , you could simply replace it or possibly find a radiator shop that could clean it out for you. Of course you need to drain and pull out the tank either way, replace or clean. Having the old tank boiled out at a radiator shop may of course uncover rusted through pin holes if the tank is really in bad shape. Having rust and junk build up in an old tank is not that uncommon, especially if the car has sat out of use for extended periods. Good luck and let us know what you find out when you look at that old fuel sock.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Okay....can't find the bag I had the old fuel sock and fuel pump in????

But I was desperate enough to run a whole can of Seafoam in it again.

And.......the 'bogging" feel is gone......for now???? It hasn't done it once in 2 weeks of driving.

But, the gas mileage still sucks (I think)...at approx. 20.01 combined city/highway. its due its oil change, and a fresh air filter, they may help some...but doubt it!

Day after Thanksgiving a "homeless" person took their umbrella and broke out the 88 Aries back glass.....by the time the cops got there at work, he was lonnng gone. A employee at work saw him do it, and by the time they came and found me, and I got outside while calling the cops, all I could see was a guy with a back pack about a half a block away......NO one else around.

Anyways...I am still looking for that bag with old fuel sock and fuel pump...I kept it just so I could look at it if needed??

thanks again everyone!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 pm

My car is doing intermittent fuel stuff on a day to day basis. Today, felt
normal and power was great, but did a chugging start-up. I have ran two fuel cleaners through this thing. Its like the intermittent fuel delivery problem comes and goes. My gas mileage is also poor I think, it might be down to 20. I am thinking just pull the gas tank, clean it out, and look for the crud and whatever may be blocking the system. All along, my check engine light is staying normal with only a code 55. That chronic illness was finally solved thanks to Butch and Bill. Car hasn't quit yet either in a month, but still a little wary of the erratic idle.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:31 am

20 is at least in the ballpark. It's about what I'm getting with my 2.5 Lebaron even driving like an old lady.
MyDodgeDip

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 am

Yeah. I typically have gotten 27 cross country. I think once I drop this fueltank, hopefully not on my head, and clean-it out, this car will be much more reliable.
I guess carbon really can get forced and blown through the engine. I guess thats bad.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanic's Corner