1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5L TBI problem..

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: 1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5L TBI problem..

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Maybe I am missing something in this general discussion on both cars, but in general I would not expect MPG drop off to correlate to problems with the fuel tank. Assuming you are not throwing any codes, I would not expect a slight or ocassional restriction of fuel to kill MPG significantly, it might even go in the other direction from running it leaner. Now if your throttle body is not in great condition like maybe an abnormal injector spray patern or maybe a leaky fuel regulator, or the plate not operating quite right, etc. .... , maybe you might expect some MPG drop off. I also don't see how Guy equates smelling gas with a clogged or dirty fuel tank. Smelling gas generally indicates that you have a leak somewhere (which should be carefully looked at by someone).
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:51 am

Dec. 2nd...the "bog" returned, on my drive home from work!! :evil:

K-Car_Wagon...I don't smell any gas in my car!!
Although this evening, i stopped and got a new air-filter, and popped it in out in their parking lot, the old one was pretty dirty.

The old air filter smelled like gas, though not wet. I guess this is normal considering its location...duh! ha

Thanks for your input!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby 88 aries » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:57 am

hows your fuel pump? my 86 Reliant likes to Bog when I punch it every now and then..my fuel pump is noisy..your problem could be the fuel filter, pump or a Map sensor, I got a 96 corsica that looses power now and then, infact just today it limited my power for about a minute...A good wide open throttle takes care of it..
88 aries

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 pm

I forget, did you check the base timing?
MyDodgeDip

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Interested start-up problems the last two days. The minute I turn the key, after a few hours of sitting, it either
won't fire or just barely and it is basically choking, stalling, and shaking. But, nothing alarming has this has happened
intermittently in the last 12 months. So, now I have to turn the key, immediately depress the accelerator to force the gas
to get to the engine as it starts simultaenously. I have to do this at the right precise second. Take my hand off the key, then it almost stalls for a 1/3 rd sec, stumbles and revs up, and then fuel is being delivered normally. This has happened several times, perhaps 10 times for 2011, where the car wouldn't start because fuel delivery was blocked by something or maybe fuel pump is intermittently not working. I would be more willing to spend $65-100 and do a much deeper fuel clean. There has got to be some intermittent shifting of blockages as car seemed to have normal high speed power tonight. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT..........YEEEAAAAAHHHH.........ONLY 55........So once I replace fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel socket, fuel hose, fuel thigamabobbit,and hoseblast the crap out of it, ........car will be good.......I feel good about this..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby nszotovich » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:36 pm

I hope this will solve you problem. Good luck!
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:23 pm

89ARIES wrote:Interested start-up problems the last two days. The minute I turn the key, after a few hours of sitting, it either
won't fire or just barely and it is basically choking, stalling, and shaking. But, nothing alarming has this has happened
intermittently in the last 12 months. :

Could be something to be concerned about. Sometimes delayed starting problems like you are experiencing (after the car sits) are due to a very very small leak somewhere along the fuel line which depressurizes while sitting. After you shut the car off, I would carefully check all along the fuel line (but especially the rubber hoses / hose interfaces). Also, after you start it up in the moring after sitting overnight, I would look in the engine area for any evidence of a leak. Sometimes very very small leaks in the engine area won't be evident when the engine is hot becuase it evaporates quickly.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Interesting develpment. Started up immediately normal yesterday. Today, went back to the same issue. Have to force the gas to the motor.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 am

And the bog is gone again????

It has been doing it non-stop for a couple fo months UNTIL someone here mentioned Sea-Foam....put that in and bog went away for a coupe of weeks!

Then as the fuel gauge got down to quarter of tank on the 2nd of Dec. the bog returned... :evil:

Filled the little jewel up with gas saturday, and the bog is gone once again :?:

Would it be okay to run yet another can of Seafoam thru it again so soon?? Short of taking the gas tank OFF, is there anything that can be used to actually see inside the gas tank to check it condition like some sort of scope?? Probably dumb question.

I'm thinking maybe the fuel filter is got junk caught up in it as 88 ARIES and several of you have mentioned. I did have it replaced approx. 18 months ago (6 or 7000 miles).. I think I will just go ahead and replace it, sure wish I could FIND the ole fuel pump, and sock so I could really look at it and tell ya what it looks like. I do know the mechanic that did it for me in Kentucky said it looked to be the "original" one!!! >>shocker<<<
I don't think the ole lady I bought this damn thing from replaced ANY thing the entire 23 years she owned it except for maybe the oil and tires!!!

Exterior/Interior looks like new, sadly everything else was or is "old"!! :roll:

Thanks everyone!!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 am

MyDodgeDip wrote:I forget, did you check the base timing?

After 3 mechanics, yes the timing was finally set, after he unplugged the CTS and set timing to factory specs. Finally "1" mechanic who actually listened to me, he said it was way off to...this was about 1 year and a half ago. It used to hesitate really bad on the highway.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanic's Corner