1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5L TBI problem..

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: 1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5L TBI problem..

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:37 am

Intersting. In my case, the bogging has
been less frequent lately, but it still creeps
up occasionally. It makes the difference between
flooring up the freeway at 85 one day and not being
able to break 77 in the same spot a few days later. I
think the two fuel cleans I did helped, but didn't solve
the problem. I also don't understand why my gas mileage
was excellent the first 60 miles Saturday, I mean the gauge barely dropped,
than dropped to about 19-20 mpg, or so it seems. Also, my tank was 1/4th or less
this morning when it had trouble starting. I am trying to
think of an inexpensive way I can just do this work myself
with some help, drop the tank, clean everything. The good news:
NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CODES! I bet clogs do migrate. Its gotta to be
a simple mechanical process of elimination, I hope. My car just turned
190,000 original miles. Turning into a high mileage K. But, its NOT QUITTING!
At least so far (trepidation). Idle is still a little erratic and stumbly, but the wild
swings preceding the stalls are gone. Idle improved 50% after Butch helped me replace
wiring and clean connectors.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 am

I have not had any fault codes with mine.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:46 am

My idle is fine as well in park. Placing it in gear, still fairly smooth...."most" of the time!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:01 am

Jacks1986Lebaron wrote:is there anything that can be used to actually see inside the gas tank to check it condition like some sort of scope??

Yes, they have boroscopes that you can use to see in places like that to check the condition. The good quality ones used to be real expensive. The prices have been coming down lately. Maybe you can find a mechanic who buys lots of expensive tools and has one. I think Harbor Freight and Sears also carry them now, but I don't know about their quality. Also, people that do inspections of heating oil tanks / oil tank removal probably have them. There might be an anti-siphon valve or plate at the bottom of the fill tube, which might obstuct insertion of the boroscope. I not sure what the bottom of the K car filler tube looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-IF-7D3x ... 519af840a8

http://www.mitcorp.com.tw/Products/deta ... class_id=3

Jacks1986Lebaron wrote:I'm thinking maybe the fuel filter is got junk caught up in it as 88 ARIES and several of you have mentioned. I did have it replaced approx. 18 months ago (6 or 7000 miles).. I think I will just go ahead and replace it, ....

Filter might be clogged or in tank sock might be partially clogged. Also, the gas in the bottom of the tank may have a higher percentage of water and that may be giving you a problem. In addition, if you don't drive the car often, the new blends of gas tend to go stale rather quickly and pick-up mositure much more quickly than the old gas.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby MyDodgeDip » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:00 am

Do you have jack stands and a flat place you can work on the car?

If so, forget the scope, run the tank low on gas again and pull the fuel pump out. You can check the new sock as well as look in with a flashlight and a mirror. If it's cruddy enough in there, it could be that when it gets low on gas, the gas to crud ratio is enough to clog the sock on the fuel pump. When you fill it up it washes the crud off the sock and it's watered (or gas-ed...) down enough to not clog.
MyDodgeDip

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:26 am

Well.... I am happy to report so far so good, I am on the 3rd tank of gas with its 3rd bottle of Seafoam!

Of course, it will somehow sense I am writing about it and give me the old bog tomorrow on the way to work.. :lol:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Well 3 years or so, and 12,000 miles I for whatever reason decided to check out my spark plugs.

OMG..........none of the old ones were gapped correctly,(a special thanks to the Chrysler dealership... :evil: ) and they looked a bit better for wear, so I went and bought new and put them in this past wednesday.

What a difference!!! Seems to be running smoother, and has a little bit better pick-up. And i thought it ran smooth before.... :roll:

$8 well spent in my book.

Took me 30 minutes, to gap the new ones and install.

I can't wait to check the gas mileage now with these new plugs in.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby MyDodgeDip » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Were they all too big? sometimes the electrodes wear down on them with use. Hope the mileage goes up!
MyDodgeDip

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Well...around 2 weeks later....and I am getting 22mpg. city/highway...mostly highway though.

It turned "cold" down here in nashville last monday morning....and the car started running like crap (bog) again to and from work monday and tuesday, it warmed up wednesday and seemed to run better, and by thursday it was running decent again.
So I went and ordered a new MAP sensor (95 dollars including shipping)..it should be in tomorrow (monday).

No codes for MAP sensor..but what the heck. One more new part among many.... :lol:

I have already had the kick panel on passenger side off and checked out all the connections, all looked good, so I thought that this MAP sensor being original, it might be due to have a new one put in, thus I ordered the new one.

I'll get this one in when I get it, and see how it runs, I hope this fixes it, but if not, I'll get the fuel system completely checked out again. i don't have the tools nor place nor real experience to tackle it myself.

I'll keep ya posted.... thanks again to everyone!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Previous

Return to Mechanic's Corner