1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5L TBI problem..

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5L TBI problem..

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:28 pm

yes, once again would like you guys advice on a problem I seem to be having.

First off, no codes of any kind.

What the car does:

Starts up first time every time, idles "smooth"!

I put it in gear, and still idles relatively smooth.

On occasion, NOT everytime, when I go to give it gas from a dead stop, it acts like it wants to not go or sometimes acts like it is going to stall, as if I am not giving it gas, yet I am.
This problem does NOT happen everyday, more like every 3 or 4 days.
Another symptom that happens everyday on the interstate is I am driving along cruising at 70 mph....no hesitation, driving a long and I let up on the gas pedal to slow down for whatever reason (idiot in front of me riding their brakes..ha) and I go to give it gas, and again it acts like I am not even touching the accelerator, then all of a sudden everything is "normal"...as far as normal goes with this car... :lol:

Here are some things I have replaced within the last week:
New 02sensor and harness.
The rest of my vacuum hoses are now new.

Within the past 2 years here is what I have replaced:
TPsensor and wiring harness (2 of them) :roll:
catalytic converter
plug wires
spark plugs
I have had the exhaust checked for proper back-pressure
fuel pump
fuel sock
fuel filter
new brakes (front and rear)
new battery
new timing belt
new belts
new CTS
new radiator
new hoses
new thermostat
had the engine checked for head gasket leakage (none)

I am sure there are a few more new things I have not listed..that I have forgot right now....anyways...

I am getting terrible gas mileage as well....I have mentioned this before in the past..before these new symptoms cropped up!

Car doesn't smoke black/blue/nor white.

I know it is hard to figure out from where you are sitting, but....any potential remedies or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!!
Jack
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Re: 1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5L TBI problem..

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:29 am

Off a dead stop, does it bog and get worse if you floor it or better? Is it a stumble or outright bog/stall? Have you checked the vacuum line to the map sensor on the computer inside the pass. side kick panel?
MyDodgeDip

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Of course....I think the ONLY vacuum line that has NOT been replaced, is the one from the map sensor!!! :roll: I kinda forgot about it, as it is hidden by the kick panel on the passenger side. (outta sight, outta mind)

I will definitely check it out!!!..hell check it out, I will just replace it!

As for stumble vs. bog/stall?? It has never actually stalled..only as if it wants to, but catches itself within seconds, but, it does not happen every time from a dead start, only everyonce in awhile.

And if I really floor it from a dead start, it chirps the front tires, and takes off fairly good, but I don't usually do this!

But everyday...going to and from work....I am creeping up to speed limit slowly, and steadily...and if I let up on the gas, and let the car kinda coast for a minute, and then apply the gas...it doesn't really feel like it is doing anything, even though I am giving it gas, and if I really smash on it, it seems like something opens up and away I go!

I am obviously not good on giving exact "feels like" and "what its doing"....I am just going by what it seems to be it is doing to me...not very descriptive am I? :oops:

On the highway....everything is fine, smooth, running good, flying down the interstate traveling at 70 mph. when I let "off" on the accelerator..everything is fine, smooth, running good, flying down the highway, but, as I go to reapply my foot to the gas pedal to get it back up to the speed limit, as I am depressing the accelerator, it acts as though I am "not" touching it for a few seconds or longer, then all of a sudden it acts as if I am finally depressing the accelerator, even though I have had my foot on it and been pressing it for a little bit.

Even though the car remains running well, and smooth during the problem, it acts like something is making it "think" for a couple of seconds before it allows it to continue!

The 88 Aries, with same everthing doesn't do this, and quite peppy and gets around 25 mpg combined city/highway driving, and it has 10,000 more miles on it!

I will definitely check out that v-line from MAP sensor!!!

Any more ideas give me a hollar!!

I'll let you know what I find out!!!

Oh... I also replaced the distributer cap and rotor about 5 thousand miles ago too.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 pm

I also have replaced the TPsensor and wiring harness as well!!!

Okay...NEW....developement just now!!!

Now from a dead stop, as you turn the steering to the right, and start to give it gas...it acts like it is wanting to stall out, but recovers immediately!

Still throwing no codes.....I was actually hoping it would throw a code for something...code 15...or code 22....but..Nooo... I am not so lucky!! ha..
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby MyDodgeDip » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:35 am

have you done any ground cleaning or connector checking?
MyDodgeDip

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:16 pm

I wish you were closer so we could meet some time and swap car running issues. I have only been to Tennessee once. I have a friend in the club, Bill Bauer. Try calling
him at 818-688-1771. He may be able to swap some ideas with ya. He discovered last night something I believe Butch has been telling me all along. Frayed and butchered
wires. Send me a pic of you and your car sometime. All the best.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:36 pm

A Bud of mine went with to me to lunch today at work...I drove...and he said YES the car definitely "bogs" went giving it gas. So in reference to your question DodgeDip..yes it bogs!!

It has been dark every evening this week when i have get home from work, so I am hoping I can get to that vacuum line to the MAP sensor this weekend.

I have driven 123 miles and the car is sitting on a quarter of a tank. I fill it up as much as I can at every fill up, and set the trip odometer......right now this is the worse. little by little over the last 3 years gas mileage has gotten worse.

yet, it has ALL these NEW parts!!! Some of which have been replaced twice!!!

Thanks Guy for the heads up!!! I'll send a picture of me and the car as soon as I no longer have a scowl on my face with this car!!! :lol:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:05 am

okay..new vaccum line...I checked the connection to the MAP sensor as well...unplugged checked it out, and plugged it back together.

And......it is "still" wanting to bog down, although the last 3 days not as bad?? Which doesn't make sense.

Also.........not a new developement,,,,but, I have noticed while car is in park it idles smooth, quiet.and hums along, then when I place it in drive....it still idles smooth, quiet, and hums along......UNTIL the radiator fan kicks on.....then it idles rough, not terrible, but noticeable...and if ya sit in a drive-thru for a extended period of time....it gets slowly worse, in fact.....bad enough that I throw the car back into park or into neutral. and everything is fine again, even the radiator fan kicking off and back on does not effect it while car is in neutral or park, everything at that point is back to normal.

I drive the 88 Dodge most of the time, and guess I have not paid as much attention to this problem until I started driving the chrysler 90% of time.....and it is 10 miles 1 way on interstate, and 10 miles home back home on interstate, and just in the past month have I reall been driving it around town, thru drive-thru's, to the grocery, and out and about.

And now.....it is starting to drive me crazy. :|

Any ideas....again...throw them my way.

Thanks!

I am thinking of going ahead and replacing the MAP sensor......??

If anyone is reading this would offer up
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is going to be an electrical issue or fuel delivery. How many miles are on the car and has the throttle body ever been given any attention? In the area of electrical connections you could start at the electric fuel pump in the tank and check and clean every connector you can get to. i would then move on to the ECU under the passenger side kick panel and clean those connectors and check it's grounding. Also, check the connectors on the power module under the hood by the battery and all the connectors around the throttle body. If you see anything like a green color on connector pins that's corrosion. i like DeOxit as a contact cleaner, you might find it at an electronics supply place, if not do a Google search.

You might also check fuel delivery pressure it should be about 39 pounds at the throttle body. This kind of issue can drive one crazy but, the only way to pin it down is troubleshooting and a process of elimination as to what is good or not so good.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks for the input. My car had major electrical havoc, until Butch used that special Deotx cleaner. Now, the car runs 90% perfect. It still is having some intermittent bogging issue and a little bit of a rough idle, but at least the car stopped bucking, cutting, and quitting.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Next

Return to Mechanic's Corner