2.6 transmission

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

2.6 transmission

Postby rgrand » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:37 am

Can anyone tell me if the transmission fluid is different from the differential fluid in my 2.6 L lebaron convertible? I have been told that the fluid is the same but it seems like the differential has a seperate type of fluid(not the typical red). If anyone can educate me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

rgrand
rgrand

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Re: 2.6 transmission

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi,

It would help to know what year LeBaron you have and if it is an automatic or manual transmission. To my knowledge the transaxle shares it fluid throughout the unit. If it is an automatic the fluid, again to my knowledge is Dextron II. If the fluid is not redish in color it may be dirty, burnt, or someone put another type of fluid in it. I have seen some information on people using the newer Chrysler ATF-4 fluids. I have no idea whether this is a good idea or not.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby rgrand » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 pm

It is a 1982 lebaron convertible with automatic transmission,2.6 L engine
rgrand

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:50 pm

HI,

Okay, the automatic transaxle holds about 5 quarts and the correct fluid is Dexron II. That is for both the transmission section and differential section which share the fluid. Agian, If the fluid is burnt or dirty it will not have the normal redish color. I'm not sure aout your comments about "brownish" fluid. If your cars fluid looks like that it should be changed along with the filter and a band adjustment done while the transmission pan is off. With proper care and fluid/filter changes these little transaxles are quite reliable, not quite up there with the old ledgendary torqueflites but still quite good. To completely change the fluid you need to remove both the transmission pan and differential cover, removing just the transmission pan only gets about half of it. There are also some flushing proceddures you can use.
Pete in NH

Postby Dodge Aries K » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Wrong in this case. I know 81-82... possibly 83 as well use a SEPERATE fill and drain for the differential section and that section takes what I believe is gear oil but I don't have the information in front of me for sure on that. I do know it's a different fluid than ATF though.
Dodge Aries K

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:30 pm

83 uses a common sump for the automatic transaxle making them different from previous year automatic transaxles which use a seperate sump for the differential and transmission. I don't have an service 82 manual with the oil specifications, but I will look in the 81 manual and get back to you. I also suspect the differential in 82 uses a gear type oil.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Pete in NH » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the mis-information, Boy you learn some thing new every day. Those early cars really are different. i always thought all the transaxles were the same.
Pete in NH

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:16 pm

My 1981 K car factory service manual says for the 2.6 liter with auto trans. to use Dexron II Auto Trans fluid for both the automatic transmission section and the differential section. (Mopar Dexron II Part Number 4131509). The trans section 8.5 qt. with a replacement volume of approximately 3 qt. The differential is listed as 1.2 qt.

I don't have the manual for 1982. Maybe somone else has an 82 factory service manual or owner's manual that lists the recommended oil.

Maybe gear oil also would also work for the differential section since it has seperate sumps - it might even be better assuming there is not seal leakage between the two sections. Maybe not - I am not sure why they are using auto trans fluid in the differential unit. Sometimes I think the main reason was to make sure the mechanic did not not put gear oil in an auto trans by mistake or just to get a slightly better MPG rating.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Return to Mechanic's Corner