1985 dodge 600 NO SPARK help needed

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1985 dodge 600 NO SPARK help needed

Postby AriesInAmsterdam » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:42 am

hi thx for reading this post

For 2 days now, im the (new) owner of a dodge 600 1985 2.2 T1 black convertible.
Which i bought with an ignitionproblem.

"After i changed the battery (with new), it wouldn't start anymore".. the seller told me.

But now, after a day of trouble shooting, i decided to drop a message for help.

What's happening with this dodge?

- engine rotates but won't start.
- sparkplugs, spark cable, distributor cap, distributor, hall sensor (2 connectors) and coil are new.
- fault code 12 en 55 (battery disconnected, memory lost & end of message)
- power module taken from my aries 87 wagon 2.2 non turbo but didn't help to get a spark
- one wire to coil (+) has power when key is switch on
- cleaned all wire ends (coil) and connectors (hall sensor), also screw and coilring/ connection to body is sandpapered/ rustfree (done with sandpaper P400/grease)
- start relais changed with one from wagon (wagon has a running engine)
- fusebox has no burnt fuses
- hal sensor has 2 connectors; 1 white, 1 black. Both has 3 pins
- timingbelt, still one piece
- battery little weak, even with booster no spark
-

hal sensorconnectors & measuring (key switch on)
white connector
calbe colour
brown/yellow - 9,90 V
orange - 10,55 V
black/blue - 0,01 V

black connector
cable colour
grey/black - 4,37 V
black/bue - 10,55 V
oranje - 0,01 V

I wonder what to do now to get back a happy blue spark
Could there be anyone willing to share ignition knowledge/ contribute to solve my - no spark - issue?
Thx in advanced. Im looking forward to ur reply.
Excuse me for my english, incase something is not written correctly

Ps. i noticed an ignition switch on the stiring column. could this be the pain in the ass?
AriesInAmsterdam

Car Information: Dodge Aries LE Wagon 2.2 non turbo

Re: 1985 dodge 600 NO SPARK help needed

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Hello,

Welcome to the club! You certainly have checked many of the right things for your no spark problem. The power module form your 87 non turbo 2.2 will very likely not work in your 85 2.2 turbo so the power module in the turbo car may still be bad.

i would try disconnecting the - side of the coil and the high voltage center wire. The factory shop manual shows a special jumper wire circuit to ground the - coil lead and see if a spark is produced. This jumper wire has a .33MF/600Volt capacitor connected between the - terminal and ground, then take a jumper wire and touch the - terminal to ground while holding the high voltage lead 1/8 inch from ground. A spark should be produced when you touch the jumper to ground. If a spark was produced either the power module is bad or the wiring between the coil and power module is open.

Also, check the hall effect sensor by reconnecting the coil - wire and momentarily jumpering two wires in the hall effect sensor connector. The hall effect sensor to the engine power module has three pins you want the two that are along side the small flat surface inside the connector. The remaining pin in the coonector should be at battery voltage to ground on a voltmeter. If you get a spark replace the hall effect sensor. These sensors are a common failure problem. It is also possible the wiring beween the hall effect sensor and the power module ahas an open circuit.

I hope some of this helps. If you do not have the factory service manual for this car you should try to find one on Ebay or somewhere.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Re: 1985 dodge 600 NO SPARK help needed

Postby AriesInAmsterdam » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:34 pm

thx peet for the support

i got my dodge 600 85 running after replacing both of computers (cause i ordered the wrong, inside first) with reman. from rockauto.

after first ride, all rims 'hot' ..
overhauled all brakes (disc, drum & park)
front left and right has brake difference of 9%
rear left and right has brake difference of 13%
parking brake 21% between left and right (will never use this one)
as long as the difference between left and right isn't up to 30% it's considered 'safe'.. (in holland)

in the time i had to wait for parts, i cleaned whole interior with a tiny brush and a cleaner agent. came out new! (after 4 days)

Pete btw i manage to get a factory service manual, 3 books. makes it a lot easier :-)
AriesInAmsterdam

Car Information: Dodge Aries LE Wagon 2.2 non turbo

Return to Mechanic's Corner