Head gasket finally went..

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Head gasket finally went..

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Hello to all..
Well, the head gasket went about 2 weeks ago on my 1986 Lebaron just as I was entering the interstate in 103 degree weather (lucky me) and just as it hit 100,000 miles.
I pulled over immediately and popped the hood and there was a stream of coolant arking from the pass. side of engine. I just had got it back from shop after having the incoming and outgoing heater hoses replaced.

Anyways...long story short...its fixed. Runs better than it ever has.."shocker"... and it only cost $615.

I am now looking at replacing the rear shocks or possibly the springs on rear or both, as the back end of car seems to sag compared to the 1988 Dodge.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Re: Head gasket finally went..

Postby 89ARIES » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi there Jack. Good to see you (or hear you). Glad it work out. I heard it got up to 107 in Louisville, KY. How was that heatwave. :D
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:47 am

Record temps here like 10 days...it was hell! haha

Been driving the lebaron to and from work since I got it back from shop, it has more power and the long sought after "hesitation" is finally gone!!!? :shock:

But.......there is always a but with these cars :roll: .... now upon acceleration it sounds like it either has bad gas?? or I don't know...kinda of a dieseling sound???? Literally driving me crazy. I plan on filling the tank back up tomorrow with the best gas I can..and see if that may take care of it.

It wasn't making this noise before head gasket blew........ :(

So I am "clueless".... I am afraid my mechanic will start to cry if I pull up so soon after he just finished all the repairs he has done to it the past 30 days.

Although...my blind ole ass has found 2 items under the hood that were not hooked back up after the head gasket repair. I really appreciate and like my mechanic.

If anyone has any ideas..please post and tell me what your suspicions are please....... :mrgreen:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Butch » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:12 am

Timing is too far advanced, you're hearing spark knock ( detonation ). :shock: :shock: Coolant sensor MUST be unplugged when setting timing. You can loosen the disturbutor and turn it CLOCKWISE ( retarding the timing ) a little bit at a time till the knock goes away. OR have your mechanic set the timing again.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks Butch!!

I appreciate it!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Well. finally got rid of the spark knock (thank goodness).

Thanks Butch for the heads up!!!

Car runs great at highway speeds.

Now after getting rid of spark knock.....it wants to "act" "sometimes" like it wants to stall when slowing down for a stop or when ya start it and put it in reverse....but, not every time and not every day!

I pulled codes......which I do monthly.....and it is throwing 13, 22, 23, 24.
No codes before head gasket went, no codes set right after repair, just the spark knock... un-plug the coolant sensor, loosen distributor, turn clockwise, tighten back up, put everything back together.

Weird that it runs "great"!! it sails right down the road!

Surely all these sensors didn't decide to die at the same time.
I will trace the vacuum lines this weekend......probably something has come undone or not on tight enough.

I'm also getting a code "101"= which means I need to get rid of this P.O.S.!!! :lol:

;)
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Return to Mechanic's Corner