1984 LeBaron runs good/run bad

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1984 LeBaron runs good/run bad

Postby mona's k » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:15 pm

I am posting this on behalf of my dad who bought an 1984 T&C convertible with the 2.6.

Car has been real erratic in how the engine runs, runs good for awhile then runs poorly. He said that it seems when the gas tank is less than 1/2 full is when the issues occur, fill the tank and it runs better. He hasn't driven it enough lately since he discovered it to see if this is 100% true but I don't think it is bad gas as he has filled it several times this summer since he bought it.

The mechanic wants to replace the computer but I would like to see if there is another issue before he goes to that expense.
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Re: 1984 LeBaron runs good/run bad

Postby K MANIAC » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Sounds to me like there is some type of debris or foreign object floating in the gas tank. "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!" My first suggestion would be to drain and remove the gas tank and inspect the inside for something floating around causing intermittant obstruction of the fuel pick up in the tank.

If your mechanic was a good one, he would have suggested this first. But since he is suggesting a new computer, he obviously doesn't know what is wrong, but will continue to drain your wallet as he replaces expensive parts, one by one, without success. If you cannot work on this car yourself, find a DIFFERENT MECHANIC!!
1991 Dodge Shadow ES Convertible 2.5 Turbo
K MANIAC

Car Information: 1991 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo Convertible

Return to Mechanic's Corner