ignition breakdown

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

ignition breakdown

Postby mykatie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm having a ugly problem: Used to be at the higher rpm the ignition would start to break down . so I replaced wires cap rotor ign coil pickup, and coil. After about 25 minutes or so it started breaking down so bad it wouldn't run( right in the middle of a turn lane) and the coil was hot to the touch, towed her to my Dad's house ran home got the old coil and changed it out. started right up. Drove her home thought Ahhh alls right with the world. So the next day grabbed the wife to do some errands and running around. Afet about 40 minutes or so Haha I'm back, started breaking down again, at least made it home this time. Well Katie is in the garage and will not move until I with your guys help I figure this out. 1981 Aries 2.2 carbed, auto
mykatie

Car Information: 1981 dodge aries k sedan

Re: ignition breakdown

Postby 88 aries » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:00 pm

sure its not the carb?
88 aries

Postby mykatie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:14 pm

would the carb actually do that kind of stuff? I need to make sure before I dump 230 $ into a rebuilt carb right at christmas time. Is it something inside the carb that when it gets warm it starts leaning out or spomething ? The car barley even runs when it starts acting up and you never know when. What about the spark control computer ? would it do that kinda stuff if it is crapping out ? Thanks
mykatie

Car Information: 1981 dodge aries k sedan

Postby 88 aries » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:56 am

for starters to NOT get a rebuilt carb, they are garbage...Don't even go that route, get a new one if you can. Also the spark control computer can fail and is known to fail as they get older. Its hard to diagnose what is going on without driving the car.. Good luck finding a new computer though...but yes the carb can cause stalling..
88 aries

Postby Dodge Aries K » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:14 am

Check your fuel pressure too. My old 82 Aries did about the same thing and it turns out the fuel pump was not producing enough pressure.
Dodge Aries K

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:47 pm

What is a spark control computer? It is not OBD1, is it?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Mechanic's Corner