New guy here.... a question...

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

New guy here.... a question...

Postby Jesuschrysler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Matt and I recently was gifted a 1987 New Yorker w/the 2.5 motor. It is in ehh, okay shape. It had leaking gas lines which I had replaced. Then the timing belt broke. Had that replaced as well; was just curious to what else may be possible on the "fail" list before I put much more $$$ in this car. It has 178,000 miles. It runs well and everything works. But it needs tires, struts, and a few other miscellany. I drive it less than 10 miles a day. It is currently my daily driver until I figure out why my 74 Dart is guzzling gas.

Thanks for any insight or advice.

Matt
Jesuschrysler

Car Information: 1987 Chrysler New Yorker

Re: New guy here.... a question...

Postby Pete in NH » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the club, Matt. Your question is a very difficult one to answer. Given the milage and age of the car and not knowing its maintenance history, the short answer is- almost anything!

Given the age and milage and unknown history, I would go carefully over the car and check things out. First on my list would be the brake system, master cylinder leaking? Wheel cylinders in the rear, front calipers and brake pads and rear linings. A car that doesn't go is one probem , one that doesn't stop safely is a whole other issue. Check out all the underhood hoses and belts as well. If it hasn't already been replaced the electric fuel pump in the gas tank is certainly on borrowed time.

Older cars can be fun and made quite reliable but, they often don't start out that way. You have to expect on a car this age that you are going to put some money in it. It helps if you can do much of the work yourself. The parts are often not too expensive but if you have to pay someone else to do the work costs quickly get out of hand.

Good luck and again welcome to the club. There are people here who will be happy to help you out with your K car questions.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Jesuschrysler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. The brakes on the K are in good form. I will replace the fuel filter and check the pump. I posted thinking yoi guys would know any known trouble areas I should be prepared for. As to the Dart; thanks for the tops as well... the carb is rebuilt but I have not investigated much lately. Wish I had a garage cause its Cold outside! ;)

Rhe K is comfy although I barely fit in it. (I'm 6-9). Somehow the bench seat in the Dart is more accommodating.

Oh well the K has Hal 9000 in the dashboard. :)

Matt
Jesuschrysler

Car Information: 1987 Chrysler New Yorker

Return to Mechanic's Corner