cooling system news

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

cooling system news

Postby ARTTY » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi, everyone, Artty here. wanted to let you all know a little info I just found out about the cooling system on the 2.2 k-cars. I just took my reliant to the radiator shop this morning to have the cooling system diagnosed. Thought I had a leak in the radiator (didn't) just needed a new cap. Asked about why the fan takes so long to come on (sometimes 2/3 up the scale) the tech said the fan definitely works but only at about 213 degrees, which he says is normal. During these hot days with 90 Degree air temps and scalding hot streets, it makes sense why any car would run so hot. I still keep an eye on the coolant level and other componants, though, just to be safe. Even though the guage does it's little up and down dance, the motor never seems to get physically hot enough to "melt down", so I probably just have a faulty sending unit to the gauge or something. Anyway, hopes this helps someone. :!:
ARTTY

Car Information: 1987 Plymouth Reliant four door, 2.2 S.F.I.

Re: cooling system news

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:02 am

How are you doing Artty. Thankyou for sharing, as that sounds like the scenario with my car, and many others. I have the "nervewracking" dancing temp gauge thing. I would not advise you to take it up a steep mountain in hot weather. Still trying to figure out how to make these cars run cooler. Some have found the secret with mods. Did you solve the gas mileage issue with your car? I am only getting 20-21 mpg city
and 24 highway. Also, we are having a very unique roadtrip Saturday August 24th. In Redondo Beach, we will be taking a boat five miles out into the Pacific Ocean for only $10 a piece. Then for only another $10 a piece, we will drive together as a K-car caravan along the coast to Dan's house in Downey for car barbacue and car show on the lawn. I know you are pretty far away, but here is a thought. We won't be at the beach place until about 11AM. Most of us are coming from further north than Orange County, but our location will be closer to San Diego-Orange County area once we get to the boat. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Mechanic's Corner