Thoughts on my Digi-Dash problems??

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Thoughts on my Digi-Dash problems??

Postby carguyray » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:31 am

I thought I'd post this here too for those of you who've already seen it.

So, here's the story and what I've done so far.

I have 2 (twin) '85 600ES Turbo Convertibles.

About 3 years ago when I bought the 2nd one I found a couple dashes in the junk yards and grabbed them.

I used the 'lesser' of my 2 600's to test them out. When I first took apart the dash my orig digi-dash was working. I plugged in one of the new ones and it worked, I plugged in the other 2 and the first one worked but not the second. Thinking it was bad I put it aside. I put my orig. dash back in and it DIDN'T work. Being late (and disgusted) I just put the car away and I didn't drive it for a few years.

So now I want to make it my daily driver and have no dash.

Here's the breakdown.

1) Three different dashes don't work in my 'driver' car
2) All 3 dashes DO work in my 'better' 600ES. (Ok, so wiring problems... I THOUGHT)
3) When I hook up a meter and test the pin out's (by using a paperclip inserted in the pin hole) I show power.
>>NOTE<< I'm using the 85 shop manual and when I have things like temp where voltage should change I see that it does. Also, I get voltage on/off for things like turn signals. I use the ground as provided in the 24pin wiring plug.
ALSO, I'm not any sort of an electrician here so feel free to say things like (should see X reading on the multimeter)
4) When I plug the dash into my 'driver' and start the car I get NOTHING (no speedo/temp/fuel/etc), BUT I HAVE TURN SIGNALS, brights, and door open lights.
5) I've tested and even replaced the fuse for the dash even though I'm seeing reading on BOTH of the pig-tale plugs.

ANY thought/input/etc. will be greatly appreciated. I want to enjoy the car the rest of the summer here and don't think my iPhone speedo app. is the best thing to be driving around with.

Thanks to all.
carguyray

Return to Mechanic's Corner