Power window won't roll up.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Power window won't roll up.

Postby 84Lebaron » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:18 am

The driver's side front window on my 1984 Lebaron (Convertible) will not roll up with it's own power. The other windows are all fine so it's not a half-blown fuse. I am just wondering how hard it is to get to the window mech and what I might need to repair it.
84Lebaron

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible 2.2 Turbo

Re: Power window won't roll up.

Postby dariodirdp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:10 am

does it make any noise at all?

they have these 4 (or 3) hard plastic button jobbies that spin around inside the drum looking motor part.
4 screws and you're in but there is also heavy grease inside so get some to replace it after fixing - if you fix it yourself. they got them at junk yards but you end up scratching your hands up some to pull them out. they also show up on ebay for $75.

if you're a doit yourselfer it may take your a couple hours of getting in the door, reassembling and reattching, etc.

The plastic botton jobbies are actually sold at Autozoned. I found this out after I fabricated (and installed) ones made "plastic button jobbies' by slicing 3/4inch lengths of glue gun stick.

obviously if it doesn't make any noise and doesn't even try to run, you need a new motor (from ebay or the junkyard). And most 80s motors work (driver and passenger are the same thing).
dariodirdp

Car Information: 1986 Dodge 600

Postby 84Lebaron » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:31 am

Yes, the motor does work and it will roll down... but not up. So is it fairly easy to get to the part I need to fix because I do not have a riveter or anything fancy like that. I can also pull the window up almost all the way, but it sags down a few inches by the next day.
84Lebaron

Postby 86dodge600esconvert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:53 pm

I had to put a motor in the drivers door on mine, The back ones didn,t work well but some lube made them a lot better. Try taking the door panel off and install the switch and see if it is any better. This is a good time to lube any moving parts. Check the channels for obstructions or bends or squished spots If the car is running it may work better. Good luck
86dodge600esconvert

Car Information: 1986 Dodec 600 es convertable

Postby mona's k » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:05 pm

I copy and pasted this from when I posted awhile back about my power window not working-- worked for me!!

Sorry I could not get the link to highlight-- you may need to go back and find the post.

Re: power window won't roll up on its own power

PostAuthor: K MANIAC » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:30 am

bret signorelli wrote:switch works , motor works , sounds/feels like the gear teeth are slipping. any help is appreciated

Inside the power window motor is a round gear driven by the motor. This round gear is in two piece with three plastic cylinder making the connection between the piece driven by the motor and the piece that drives the window regulator. These three cylinders act as a safety clutch betweeen the two gear pieces. What has happened is that these three plastic cylinders have broken into small pieces and the two gear pieces are now just sliding against each other. You will need to remove the motor and disassemble the gear case to replace the three plastic cylinders. Plastic replacements may be available in the HELP parts center of an auto parts store. Others have suggested replacing the plastic cylinders with six 1/4-20 steel nuts (two nuts to replace each plastic cylinder).

I have stolen and attached a motor repair document from another forum. Pay close attention to the parts on motor disassembly, repair, and replacement. Our power window motors are similar. The bottom line is that your motor is repairable.

http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/docume ... Repair.pdf
1991 Dodge Shadow ES Convertible 2.5 Turbo
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Postby mona's k » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Hey-- it highlighted when I posted!!!
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Postby 84Lebaron » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:58 am

Sorry for the lack of updates - The car has been in the shop for a while, waiting on a new fuel pressure regulator and to have the radiator fixed.
Now that I have it garaged I can start work on fixing the window. I will update next time something interesting happens or when I finish the window project.
84Lebaron

Postby JanSoto » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:56 am

86dodge600esconvert wrote:I had to put a motor in the drivers door on mine, The back ones didn,t work well but some lube made them a lot better. Try taking the door solar kitsoff and install the switch and see if it is any better. This is a good time to lube any moving parts. Check the channels for obstructions or bends or squished spots If the car is running it may work better. Good luck

I think it will work.. I am facing similar issue with my driver side window and I will try your method of solving it..Hope it works well.
JanSoto

Car Information: 2011

Postby 84Lebaron » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:11 pm

OK, so I FINALLY took out the window motor. When I tested it, the gear slips every once in a while. I think that it doesn't turn at all in the window because it's so heavy. Do I need to replace the motor or the gear?
84Lebaron

Return to Mechanic's Corner