EVA help on 88 New Yorker

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

EVA help on 88 New Yorker

Postby Adam88NY » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:28 am

My 88 won't talk. In fact, no beeps, chimes or anything. Won't even interrupt radio when door is opened when driving. Is it a bad EVA or has it simply been turned off? Cannot locate the "glove box switch" everyone speaks about.
Adam88NY

Car Information: 1988 Chrysler New Yorker and LeBaron

Re: EVA help on 88 New Yorker

Postby Adam88NY » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Dealer cannot even tell me where the EVA module is. Anybody know? I guess I am headed to a you pull it yard soon.
Adam88NY

Car Information: 1988 Chrysler New Yorker and LeBaron

Postby 84Lebaron » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:14 am

Aftermarket radio installed?
84Lebaron

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible 2.2 Turbo

Postby 86newyorkerturbo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:46 pm

On my 86 the switch for EVA in in the glove box above the actual box . Open it up look up in there..its a very small black switch.. I couldn't find mine at first either but once you find it youll know..
86newyorkerturbo

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler New Yorker Turbo

Postby BIG-AL » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:05 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a EVA question on my 1987 New Yorker 2.2 Turbo. Chrysler came out with the 24 function EVA and the 11 function EVA. I believe my New Yorker comes with the 11 Function EVA.

I found the EVA unit behind the glovebox. I know where the ON/OFF switch is. It works, but not all of it.

Here are the things I have verified to work (because I've heard the car them):
"Please fasten your seatbelts"
"A door is ajar"
"Your fuel is low"
"Thank you"

The car is also supposed to say these things, but couldn't verify:
"Your washer fluid is low"
"Your electrical system is malfnctioning. Prompt service is required"
"Your engine is overheating. Prompt service is required."
"Your engine oil prssur eis low. Prompt service is required."
"All monitored systems are funtioning."

The car is supposed to say the following and verified NOT to be working:
"Your headlights are on"
"Don't forget your keys"
"Your parking break is on"

I don't even have a warning chime for the key in the ignition and headlight being on. I'm thingking something is dsconnected. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start on diagnosing this? Thanks!!!!

-Alex
BIG-AL

Car Information: 1987 Chrysler New Yorker

Postby Kwagon2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Hello Big-Al
I don't own a New Yorker but I,m somewhat familiar with the Electronic voice alert , the 11 function module has a system test and a "Demo mode" test. I guess the first priority is to make sure that the module itself is Ok...The Demo mode should do this. If the ignition Key is out ,Headlamp switch is off and all the doors have been closed for over a minute , open the drivers door and then press and hold the the door ajar button located on the left "B" post (the small black plastic button assembly held in with two small screws) you should hear all of the messages. This test checks the module only. If you don't hear all the messages the Service manual suggests the Following: 1) Make sure the connections at the back of the module are intact with no terminal "pushouts" as in the terminal hasn't left the connector housing.
2) Check the battery feed and Ground circuit of the module.
3)Test the left door ajar switch and wiring
4) Test the left door courtesy lamp switch (door jamb switch on "A" post)
The suggestion then is to replace the module if the above check out. There is a caveat that states if all the messages work upon each LEFT door opening and closing a ground exists in the left courtesy lamp switch or wiring.
To do further checks after the "Demo mode" checks out you will most certainly require the system wiring and flow charts from the Service manual. There is a recommendation to not use a test light to check the circuits so use a Digital meter.
Keep in mind that on some messages there is a time delay and for the Parking brake warning and Door ajar warning the vehicle must move at approx 5mph for 5 seconds. Hope this helps...
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Mechanic's Corner