OBD one

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

OBD one

Postby dc8flyer » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:48 am

I think I found the last place in town that has an OBD one to test my car, however he says nothing is registering. Does the car have to be running for the computer to send out what codes, etc.., it might have or can he expect the info to display while the car is off?

If not what might be keeping the computer from sending information? I just replaced both computers.
dc8flyer

Car Information: 1987 Dodge 600SE 4DR Sedan

Re: OBD one

Postby TurboDave » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:08 pm

dc8flyer,

With OBDI you do not need a scaner.

1 Turn your ignition key to run (not cranking the engine) does your check engine light, light up?

Yes - Go to #2
No - Start with checking the bulb. If the bulb is good now you are looking at a wireing issue that you have to fix first.

2 - If you turn the igniton key on-off-on-off-on (do not crank the engine) the check engine light will start flashing on and off that is your trouble codes. If you have no codes then it will flash 5 times pause flash 5 times, that is a code 55 or end.

Yes their is an OBDI port under the hood that you can hook a scaner to, but you can also get your codes through the check engine light.

Most repair shops I have seen has no problems pluging in to your car. If you go to Craigslist you can find a nice SnapOn MT2500 (normal called the red brick by Mech.)
price will range between $200 & $300 dollars.

Even know I have a scanner if I'm just looking to get the codes I normaly use the check engine light.

Hope this help
TurboDave
TurboDave

Car Information: Dodge, 600es convertable, 1984, 2.2L Turbo

Re: OBD one

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 am

TurboDave,

Thanks for your help. It is good to see you (or see your words)> 8-) Pete of NH does a great job here, and we could use another great mechanical assistant
such as yourself to keep things going here. Not everyone here is into facebook, but we have the best of both worlds. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Mechanic's Corner