1986 Dodge 600 2.2L Turbo Problems

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1986 Dodge 600 2.2L Turbo Problems

Postby reeves12688 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:25 pm

So, I've recently purchased a 1986 Dodge 600. It hasn't given me too much trouble but it has started to recently. I had an antifreeze leak that I'm quite sure I've cured but now other problems are popping up.

A) Somewhere in the cowl is leaking water. When driving through heavy rains it drips onto my foot pedals and sometimes all throughout the floorboard. Mostly just under the drivers side though.
B) I believe I have an oil leak but not sure. I haven't seen a major decrease in the level, however, every time I go to start the car there is a smoking from behind the engine block and I was told it's probably oil burning off. The last mechanic I had look at it determined that it was the "oil feed line". It is on the right side of the engine. There are two lines and it is the lower one. I can't find that part ANYWHERE online. I can't even find it in my Haynes manual.
C) Also, back windows do not roll down. I have been told this is a common K Car issue.

Please take it easy on me. I am a young guy with very little automotive repair experience. I got this car for only $1000 so I feel comfortable for the first time in my life trying to do my repairs myself. Just trying to learn here.
reeves12688

Car Information: 1986 Dodge 600

Re: 1986 Dodge 600 2.2L Turbo Problems

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the club and those Dodge 600’s are nice cars. Like most 30 year old cars, as you are finding it needs some help from time to time. You mentioned having a Haynes manual, I suggest if you are going to keep the car you find a set of factory service manuals. It is a three book set for 1986 and you will not find a more valuable source of information on your car. You can often find them on Ebay in both book and CD form.

On your problem list:
A- That leaking problem is a common one. There are three common issues. The first is make sure the cowl area under the hood along the windshield bottom is clean and free of leaves and junk that can clog the cowl drains on either side. You may have to take a piece of stiff wire and fish out the old leaves and junk. The second common cause of leaks in this area is much harder to deal with. There is a plastic rear wheel well lining piece in the rear of each front wheel well. This piece traps mud and stuff behind it and eventually rots out the lower corner of the firewall behind the plastic piece. This allows water into the passenger compartment which soaks the carpet and carpet under matting. If this goes on for an extended time the floor area rusts out as well, especially around the parking brake cable grommet. The only permanent fix is to MIG weld in new metal where required. Check the passenger side as well often this happens on both sides. You have to make your own patch pieces or cut out pieces from a parts car. The third possibility isn’t too common and that is a windshield leak.

B- The turbo oil lines are: Tube, Turbo oil feed-P/N 4323106, Tube, Turbo oil drain back P/N 4105456, Tube, Turbo oil drain back P/N 4323111 and Hose, Turbo oil drain P/N 4105457. I would check the hose piece that is clamped into the return line. If your lucky that will be the source of the leak. A new piece of hose and two clamps may fix the problem. You need a piece of hose that can handle hot oil, like neoprene. Check with the local auto parts store. Don’t use heater hose. You can find factory parts at sources like Arizona Parts, http://www.arizonaparts.com and Parts Voice, www.partsvoice.com.

C- There is a plastic web belt on some window systems that breaks. But, it’s best to have that factory service manual to see how to replace it or check out what else may be broken. On being young,it's not a bad thing to be and we all had to start learning somewhere. K cars are quite simple compared to todays cars and aren't a bad place to start learning.

I hope some of this helps, let us know what you find out, or if you need more help.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby aussiewoody » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:45 am

Another great piece of advice from Pete - well done mate!

Where would we be without ya!!!!

And I think that i'll remove the plastic wheel well rears and check what's probably there in my car = leaves - millions of 'em! :lol:
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:21 am

Hello reeves12668. Welcome to the club. Thanks for those nice pictures. I will upload these. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:33 am

Hi,

As I was responding to the email and pictures you sent me, my computer crashed. Please resend your recent email and I'll respond on a back up computer.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Return to Mechanic's Corner