dash removal

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

dash removal

Postby atbigbucks » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:19 am

Hi there everyone

Im new to the group and im not sure if im in the right section but i have 1989 Plymouth reliant that i love and i just started to have heat trouble. Im leaking antifreeze on my floor so i know my heater core is shot. Im trying to replace myself since i like doing most of my own work. Only thing is that i dont know how to remove all of the dash in my car. Ihave already taken out the dash cover but i can located all the screws to take out the main frame so i can access the heater core box and get the job over with. Can someone help me or have any pics on locating all the mounting screws

Thanks in advance
atbigbucks

Car Information: 1989 plymouth reliant

Re: dash removal

Postby mona's k » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Are you talking about the dash front panels or the dash pad that is right below the windshield? Most, if not all cars I have worked on you can not easily remove the metal "dash" that is under the dash pad, it is part of the structure of the car.

First thing I would do at a minimum, is get a Chiltons/Haynes type repair book and pair it up with the actual factory service manual for you car. These will explain the correct way to remove you heater core. I use them both as sometimes the Haynes manual for my car is less technical and more "step by step" on how to do things then the factory manual which has better info for year specific items.
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:19 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby atbigbucks » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 am

thank you so much any help or a digital copy would be great I would gladly appreciate it
atbigbucks

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:18 am

atbigbucks, could you please read and respond to your email? I sent you a welcome letter. ;)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 89Reliant » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:14 pm

When I bought my 89 Reliant in October it also leaked coolant from under the dash. I was having the struts replaced at a shop nearby and I asked them to fix the leak as well. They stopped the leak without replacing the heater core. They said it was a hose I think. After that, I started getting wildly fluctuating temperature guage only when the heater was on. I had to flush out the heater core by running water through it in reverse. A lot of crud came out and then my heater worked great and the motor didn't overheat. I suggest you cut the hoses off the heater core instead of trying to break them loose if you are going to try this. It will reduce the chance of causing a leak in the core.

I have an image that I scanned for you out of my Haynes manual for Heater Core Replacement, but I had so much trouble trying to attach it to this message that my attachment quota has already been reached.

You can e'mail me at jmcdonald53@austin.rr.com and I will send it to you.
89Reliant

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant 1989

Postby atbigbucks » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:59 pm

I tried flushing the heater core with water and i got a little color change in the water but whrn i moved the car again i leaed coolant on the floor and the window fogged up. And i never did the heater core in this car so im sure its an original
atbigbucks

Return to Mechanic's Corner