What's the overall reliability of these K-cars now?

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

What's the overall reliability of these K-cars now?

Postby 1p3bp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:02 am

I've got a 1965 Valiant 170 Slant Six Auto, 1973 Dodge Charger 400-4bbl auto, 1993 Ford Ranger, 1998 Ford Ranger, and of course now this 1986 Reliant SE Wagon 2.2 auto. I'm trying to learn about them. I will drive this car if it runs good and drives good. Now my Valiant and Charger both run but they're definitely not reliable enough to take out more than around town, no long treks. My 1998 Ranger is what I normally use for everyday transportation. But up until a month ago I was driving a 1992 Ford Ranger 4.0 auto that was great until someone totaled it out. Now I'm having to switch cars back and forth between the 1993 and 1998 Ranger I've got because the 1992 was my Dad's which I was having things repaired on when someone pulled out in front of me causing me to total it. So our next choice backup is this 1986 Reliant. But it's going to need some things before it's put back in service. It's been under a carport probably not driven or even started in that pas 10+ years. I'm currently working on redoing the entire fuel system minus the lines, which show no corrosion. The car is totally straight, no dents, dings, or even scratches. Interior needs cleaning, no oil or fluid leaks. Even has original belts, hoses, and even the original battery terminals look almost new. It's got 48,000 original miles on it. So I want to see how well it behaves and runs after I wrap up the fuel system refurb and start it up for the first time. I've changed the oil, squirted the cylinders and turned the crank, it's nice and smooth, no problems. It fired right up with carb cleaner sprayed in the TB, on the first turn of the key. So my ultimate question is after all maintenace items are in working order. How reliable are these vehicles? I'm assuming it's got to be a little more dependable than my 65 Valiant and 73 Charger because it's got throttle body injection. But are there any notorious problems with these cars that will cause it to not start at all or just cut off without warning?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: What's the overall reliability of these K-cars now?

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Re: What's the overall reliability of these K-cars now?

Postby 1p3bp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Well like I've said I'm replacing pretty much the entire fuel system minus the lines and the TBI. I was going to take the TBI unit off and regasket it and add new sensors, regulator, and injector. But some shops I know said just get all the new fuel components on and start it up and see how it runs. I think most of the bad stuff was contained to the fuel tank as it just sat and was started. So when I took the fuel tank out the pump assembly and sending unit assembly just disengrated into powedery rusty sand. The metal fuel lines I sprayed carb cleaner through and blew out with compressed air and they flowed clean. I was a little concerned with the fuel sending unit on this because it had a return hose inside the tank that went to a plastic fuel resevoir in the tank. Although the new tank I have has a fuel tank resevoir inside, it's all steel and there is no nipple to connect the return hose to. So a few people said it won't affect it much just letting the hose just rest in the tank wherever it falls when I slide in the sending unit. I know it will need maintenace items such as a thorough brake job. I know when I had a battery in it I turned the ignition key to ACC to check all the dash bulbs and I noticed the Power Loss Light didn't light up or even when I cranked it up. So I'm not looking forward to pulling the gauge cluster to replace all the bulbs. Hope it's not too difficult. If it runs great and I can get it painted decent I may take it to a show just because it's unique and there's none around.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Return to Mechanic's Corner