Pre heater system

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: Pre heater system

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi
I'm figuring what you're talking about is the Heated Air inlet system? I don't really have a decent illustration to post but it primarily consists of the hot air inlet tube coming from the shroud around the exhaust manifold to the base of the air cleaner . (about 1 1/2" in diameter) Inside the air cleaner, right inside the mouth where the air inlet tube connects, as it comes from the fender mounted power module is the vacuum operated diverter door motor, that motor connects to the sensor mounted in the base of the air cleaner (looks like a silver metal disc with two ports ) from that sensor the vacuum hose picks up vacuum from a "tee" in the main vacuum line that supplies the purge solenoid and so on. Check your hose routing diagram on the cowl , you'll be able to follow it ...
Something you could try is a Chrysler dealer parts department and get them to print out the air cleaner parts illustration (group 14 ).... Its all computer based so they should be able to bring up an '86 yet...
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: Pre heater system

Postby Kwagon2 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi
I wasn't sure what you meant so I guessed.... Terminology mix-up...Your "pre-heat" is usually referred to as the "carb" heat . The intake manifold is "in series" with the heater core ....so from the passenger side heater core connection a hose goes to the manifold and then from the manifold a hose runs back over to the connection under the "water box" (that's where the thermostat sits). The drivers side heater core connection runs directly over to the radiator tank connection. If you have Air conditioning a bypass valve sits between the two heater core connections with the arrow pointing to the drivers side connection, and thats it , unless you have a Turbo and then the Turbo bearing is included in the flow.... hope that helps...
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Mechanic's Corner