What makes the 2.2 TBI idle the best?

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

What makes the 2.2 TBI idle the best?

Postby 1p3bp » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:27 am

It's getting time for show car season. If there is such a thing for a K-car. But the end of last summer I got my 43,000 original mile 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon repainted it's original Black and took it to my first show and won an award. It was cool and it got a lot of looks. Mostly saying they hadn't seen one in years. Before I got it the car had sat without being moved or started for 11 years. I got it for free and replaced basically the entire fuel system and it runs and drives great now. It was at least a 100 mile round trip to the show last July and we even got to enjoy the a/c. I've done a lot since then but not much over the winter because unfortunately it sits outside all the time because I don't have anymore room. I did just replace the front motor mount and readjusted the belts. Last summer before the show we replaced ever serviceable part on the throttle body since we had to replace the fuel injector to get it running. I also added a set of Accel wires, Accel ignition coil, aftermarket brass plated cap, rotor, new pickup coil, Champion plugs, and a K&N air filter. It runs great now and I could drive it anywhere. But is there anything else I need to check into to make sure it won't stall at a light or give it an even smoother idle. I've been told they never had a perfect idle to begin with. I haven't done anything to the distributor, cat converter, muffler, egr, map sensor, o2 sensor, pcv. Everything else has been pretty much checked out. We even checked the timing through the timing belt. The belt looks practically new, may have even been changed once before. So what do I need to check for drivability before heading out to shows this summer?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: What makes the 2.2 TBI idle the best?

Postby Kwagon2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:11 am

Hi
Wow! You've got a happy little K car there! The 2.2s always had a little "shake" to them at low RPM (they smooth out in the mid ranges) since an in line 4 cylinder engine does not have an inherent "balance" . 60 degree V-6 engines will have a shake due to a lack of an inherent balance Buick tried to fix that in the later seventies with the "Even Fire" V-6 were they split the crank journals. The 2.5 used balance shaft technology to get rid of the four cylinder shake.
If you go to the tailpipe and listen and everybody's home with no periodic miss the 2.2 is running as good as it can.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Mechanic's Corner