Air Condition Help. 2.6L 82' Lebaron

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Air Condition Help. 2.6L 82' Lebaron

Postby The Upcoming Classic » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:20 am

My air conditioning does not work. I'm thinking about retrofitting r134a instead of the old r12 as it's easier to get hold of and it's cheaper to replace if there's a slow leak. My car was repainted 25 years ago, so if there were any stickers on the engine bay or hood about the A/C system and the pressures, they've been covered long ago. I have a 1982 Chrysler Lebaron with the 2.6L (and an automatic... idk if that would help or not, I don't even think they came with anything else.) Anyway... All of the old coolant has been leaked out over the last 20 years that it had not been charged so now it just needs vac'd down and pumped back up with some oil and r134a. Here's the thing, I have no clue how much refrigerant it took with r12 (factoring in the conversion ratio of course), or how much oil it was supposed to have. I also heard that it needed something called Pag oil. Apparently the older style oil it took back in 1982. I also need help finding the high side port. I found the low side but not the high side. I'm sure I will find it but it would help if someone knew so I didn't have to spend a whole afternoon trying to find it. In recap... Original r12 coolant pressure (r134a retrofit pressure or conversion ratio if you want) Pag oil quantity, and maybe location of high side access.

Thanks,
Aaron with the Lebaron
Image Why not?
The Upcoming Classic

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Medallion Mark Cross

Re: Air Condition Help. 2.6L 82' Lebaron

Postby Kwagon2 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:10 am

Hi
This little link tells you about the oils: http://www.e38.org/pparish/oil.htm I'm kinda in the same boat with my '82 Aries restoration ....according to the '82 service manual a full charge of Refrigerant is 38 ounces. As far as oil quantities the manual states that 9 to 10 ounces of refrigerant oil are initially installed in the compressor at the factory.
I looked into getting my old system retrofitted for R134A from R12 as R12 is just plain illegal now as its classified as an Ozone depleting substance so you can't buy it or install it etc. Major Major fines etc. for discharging to the atmosphere etc. in short its just become bad news!! Since I am not licensed as a Refrigerant Technician I cannot even purchase component parts for my A/C system ..it all has to be done through a licensed Tech etc.
So...in view of all that I talked to a Refrigeration Tech I know about a retro fit to R134A & at the very least it requires all new hoses & seals etc. and perhaps even a new type compressor as the gas pressures are different for the new refrigerant! So its not just a simple matter of changing refrigerant!! Just thought you should be aware...
I'm in the process of checking out a supposedly legal R12 replacement referred to as R12A sold under the name of "Red TeK" don't know very much about it yet but it may have some promise....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby The Upcoming Classic » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:36 pm

I found the high and low side. I placed adapters on the r12 ports and they fit fine. I bought a vacuum pump and a A/C gauge manifold. I've heard that no, you don't have to buy new pump as it will work fine with the old one. The videos I've watched and the set I have is made to convert the system, it includes the oil and leak sealer to keep the seals hydrated and ester oil to lubricate the pump as it runs, the rest you can use plain r134a. The ratio from r12 to r134a is 85%. In my car I found the sticker hidden on the back side of the radiator covered by a layer of some grease. I think it said 35oz of r12 so around 85% leaves like 29.75 so I rounded it up to 30oz. I will make a instructional video on it too for anyone who needs help doing it. I will see if I can follow up on the video as well after the summer to see if it holds and anything I noticed different about the engine and system while running and not.

Wish me luck!
Last edited by The Upcoming Classic on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Why not?
The Upcoming Classic

Postby The Upcoming Classic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:34 pm

The video didn't work. The system charged and has UV dye in it, only I failed to remember there was a large leak in a hose going to the compressor from the low side. I'm not sure where you can get these hoses from. Once it is replaced I will attempt the video again. It held a charge for a day. The compressor kicked on and worked wonderfully. The A/C was cold and the engine ran fine with it on. Fan kicked on, didn't get hot or anything. This is good news! I'll Keep you informed.
Image Why not?
The Upcoming Classic

Postby The Upcoming Classic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:58 am

OK! Some time later, Many hot days passed, many moons agouauuhhh... nvm. Hi, It's been a while right. Yeah, here's what I found. The high side and discharge line going from the condenser to the compressor has a leak. I found a new OEM NOS part and I plan on ordering it. LINK TO PARTZ LOOL UR MOOM: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261442302927 :? idk what's wrong with me. The only problem? Seller is on vacation until July 6th. Now we wait. Until then, I hope to have some videos of some other stuff like removing door cards, replacing AC lines, things like that all geared towards the K car... Specifically 1981-1985 K cars. I will keep you all updated. Until then, you can check out my other videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIDrdu ... TvYXmr-fwQ
Image Why not?
The Upcoming Classic

Return to Mechanic's Corner