Looking for relay, part #4221065

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Looking for relay, part #4221065

Postby GrammaCar » Thu May 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Hey, guys.

I had my car in the shop recently, working on a problem with intermittent no-spark. They said they narrowed it down to a relay sending power or something to the ECU. Said it was part #4221065, but they couldn't find one anywhere.

Do you guys know where I could find one of these?
GrammaCar

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler E-Class 2.2L Turbo

Re: Looking for relay, part #4221065

Postby Kwagon2 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:29 am

Hi
4221065 is the power amplifier control unit for the Chrysler stereo with the power amp (you should have a little indicator on the lower dash panel with an LED to indicate the power amp switch status) This control unit is located in the upper dash under the amplifier itself taped to the amplifier harness... This has absolutely nothing to do with the ignition....
Arizona moparts shows 11 of them but he has them identified as a reverse gear lamp relay (which doesn't exist )...as the reverse lights are actuated from a switch on the transmission....but he lists his parts according to the part number on the part so I'm pretty sure its the amp control unit ....everthing that I've purchased from him has been correct.
You can check the listing : http://arizonaparts.com ....just plug in the part number under "search parts"
But I think you really need to have a talk with your mechs....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri May 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Double check with your mechanic. Maybe he really wants an auto shut down relay (which is external for 1984). See link.
http://www.minimopar.net/ecu/asd_re.html

If your mechanic really wants the auto shut down relay, contact Arizona Parts to see if he has one in stock or at least can give you the correct part number to search for. I can't find the auto shut down relay listed in my 84 parts book, but someone on another site listed the ASD relay for 1984 turbo engine as P/N 4221279. Arizona parts also has that part in stock (listed as fuel pump relay 1983-84 TBI/Turbo.)
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Kwagon2 » Sat May 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi
If I may interject here... Good pointer K-Car-Wagon! I was being dumb & just concentrated on the part number identified not the possible root cause... I had a look at my '84 parts lists (I have the Micro Fiche) The relay appears on Fiche 2 Section G20 item 3 and it is 4221279. We didn't see lot of the early TBI/Turbo equipped cars up here in '84 as the TBI cars started trickling through in '85 (My '85 Reliant is one of the first few Bosch/Chrysler TBI cars to be delivered in this Province). We went to the first few seminars offered on the TBI cars but we didn't see any for a while!! Anyhow, the ASD relay would be a good place to start as the relay supplies power to the Fuel pump, the injectors, and the ignition coil , its grounded by the power module. Its a simple check to see if the voltage applied to these items (especially the coil) remains constant. On an intermittent situation I would look for a connectivity problem rather than an actual component... The Hall effect distributor pickup was a bugaboo as well at times ,the problem being wiring breaks right at the three terminal connector despite the presence of the holder on the distributor cover!
The ASD relay is located just above the logic module/passenger side kick panel.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby GrammaCar » Mon May 23, 2016 2:53 pm

Hey, everybody.

Thanks for all the great info.

I think the mechanics may have found the correct problem but given the wrong part number. The amp is fine, or at least sounds like it anyway.

That other part sounds more like what they were talking about. No spark... and he said it was under the glove box, so that'd be down there by the ECM.

Could be the HAL sensor, but last time that went out I got a code for it.

The shop is really cool, but I don't think they can do older cars well. They spent a long time diagnosing, but couldn't find the part through their usual channels so they just gave me my car back and told me what they thought the problem might be. They didn't charge me anything though, so I appreciated that.
GrammaCar

Postby GrammaCar » Mon May 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Hey again.

I was reading on some other threads about a "relay between the ECM and motor" that is separate from the ASD. That sounds like exactly what the mechanic was describing. Do you guys know what that is? I couldn't find any specifics on those threads.

With the ASD, if that's bad, will the fuel pump still come on? I get fuel pump but just no spark.

Also, with the HALL sensor, does that always give a code? Saw on another thread sometimes it just goes out with no code.

Right now my car's got nothing but the "Recently disconnected battery" code.
GrammaCar

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon May 23, 2016 4:25 pm

I am not aware of another relay in addition to the ASD. You don't always get a code with a bad Hall sensor. Also, potentially bad connection to distributor. I think on the Turbos you need two signals from the distributor (maybe Hall sensor signal and a sync signal?).

I think if the ASD is good you will initially get some fuel, but if there is another problem (such as with the distributor or a connection), the ASD will cut off fuel supply after an initial start attempt.

See this link for some tips on troubleshooting the no start - no engine feed section.
http://www.minimopar.net/electrical-powerfeeds.html

Here is something else you can check on the distributor (plastic disc loose - see link)
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_ignition.html

Also, if you have low voltage due to a low battery or from a voltage drop (bad (high resistance) power feed line or ground line), and the voltage at the computer is too low when trying to start the computer might not function properly or the injectors may not be turned on and it might not start. For starters check you battery terminal connections.

Since you are only getting the recently disconnected battery code, it may imply that your voltage at the computer is being dropped too low during the start attempt when you crank it and you are not storing codes and you are resetting the computer each time you try to start it. (The voltage will always drop off somewhat during start because of the high starter current draw - but if it goes to low you can have problems.)
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby marty mopar » Sat May 28, 2016 1:15 am

4221065 is for the 81-83 Imperial reverse gear indicator lamp and in 1985 it is for the radio power amplifier in the K cars and may have other applications

it fits at least 1981-85 models

www.arizonaparts.com
marty mopar
Car Fan

Car Information: 1992 Daytona IROC R/T

Return to Mechanic's Corner