Raer wind screen

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Raer wind screen

Postby scoppola@vivint.com » Fri May 26, 2017 10:54 am

Hey everyone, this is my first post and first K - car, 1983 Lebaron conv. I'm looking for suggestions on replacing the rear window (plastic), I can see the obvious zipper however it appears the plastic window needs to be stitched directly into the conv. top. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
scoppola@vivint.com

Car Information: 1983 Lebaron

Re: Raer wind screen

Postby Kwagon2 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi
Welcome and congrats on your K ....I've never owned a convertible but personally I would say to talk an Auto Upholstery shop in your area that does tops and see what they can do. Any stitching like that would require a Heavy duty sewing machine
which not doubt they would have...
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: Raer wind screen

Postby aussiewoody » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 am

By now you probably have it all figured.
However if you haven't, grab a copy of the factory shop manual, it tells it all.

The "window" section is quite separate to the convertible top itself.
The bottom part of the window is attached to the body along the lower section, same way as the convertible top is.

I frequently see ads for cars which require "just a new window", but I think it would be a rather extensive job to replace just the window.
Furthermore, if you did, wouldn't the vinyl colour around the window look out of place given that the convertible top was older and more faded ?

Hope this helps.
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Return to Mechanic's Corner