Is it worth getting a 1986 Dodge Daytona 2.2 Turbo Z?

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Is it worth getting a 1986 Dodge Daytona 2.2 Turbo Z?

Postby 1p3bp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:33 am

I know it's not a K car but similar. I thought it might be a good idea before I think about it. I've got a chance to get a 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z with everything still there minus the valve cover and the wheels for $250. They also have a 1986 white Dodge Daytona 2.2 non turbo automatic for the same price. It's already factory white like the one seen in the 1986 movie The Wraith. It will likely need a full restoration but there is no body damage or rusted out holes. It has the engine and transmission still in the car and it's all there minus the valve cover but I'm sure it will need a full rebuild from sitting. It still has the turbo, computer, manifolds, lines. I was just wondering if it's a worthy restoration.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Is it worth getting a 1986 Dodge Daytona 2.2 Turbo Z?

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:01 am

Hi
I would say Yes!The Turbo "G" bodies back in the mid eighties were Chryslers' front wheel drive 2.2 litre Turbo powerhouses!! These cars dominated SCCA racing in the eighties with the involvement Carroll Shelby and the Chrysler/Shelby performance Centre. To me at least, like the K car, it seems the Daytonas, Lasers and the Omni GLH's and GLHS's have largely left the conciousness of the Automotive performance world ....they are note worthy cars!
Check this Allpar article on the restoration of one....http://www.allpar.com/model/daytona/restoration.html
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Mechanic's Corner