Testing emission solenoids on a '85 LeBaron 2.2 Turbo

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Testing emission solenoids on a '85 LeBaron 2.2 Turbo

Postby HFBond » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:48 am

I have a '85 LeBaron Mark Cross Convertible with the 2.2 turbo. It is running a bit rough and shakes when stepping on the throttle hard enough to put it under load like trying to get into passing gear. If I step on the throttle gently it runs fine. Doing a lot or research and checking codes (13 and 37) I believe that it may be the one (or more) of the four solenoids mounted on the right front by the shock tower. The four solenoids are "purge, Egr, Waste gate and Barometric". I have been researching how to test them and only come up with generic process for other then Chrysler products. The most common ways that I have seen are 1. Blow into it and see if air passes through. Might indicate if the solenoid is stuck open. 2. Apply a vacuum source and see if it holds vacuum. Might indicate leakage. 3. Apply power to the terminals to see if the vacuum drops off rapidly and it makes a click to indicate the solenoid is operating properly.

Here are my results: Yes I can blow through them and no they do not hold vacuum. However when I apply power to them they do click AND will then hold vacuum. Applying power is closing them not opening them. Testing the wires I found that when the key is turned on and the motor is not running the Purge and Waste gate solenoids have power applied closing the solenoids. The Barometric and EGR do not have power applied and the solenoids are open. When the engine is running I have the opposite, the Barometric and EGR have power and the purge and waste gate do not.

My question is are these solenoid working correctly as far as being closed when power is applied and open when they don't have power?
HFBond

Car Information: 1985 Chrysler LeBaron Mark Cross Convertible

Re: Testing emission solenoids on a '85 LeBaron 2.2 Turbo

Postby HFBond » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:44 am

I have my answer. The solenoids are working correctly. Its a matter of understanding the difference between the three barbs and how the solenoid operates when power is applied. Found the explanation of them at http://minimopar.net/solenoids.html
HFBond

Car Information: 1985 Chrysler LeBaron Mark Cross Convertible

Return to Mechanic's Corner