Tickling noise from the cranck case

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Tickling noise from the cranck case

Postby clasicolebaron » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:57 pm

I would like to ask for advice, suggestions and direction. A tickling noise from the crank case began, engine has no leaks, no smokes, car has been running and has it`s regular maintenance as usual. I`ve heard a few things, thought might ask to the experts and professionals from the K-Car.
1987 LeBaron Sedan, 2.5l $ Cyl, 130,000km. Please Help

Jave
;)
clasicolebaron

Car Information: 1987 Chrysler Lebaron sdn, 2.5l

Re: Tickling noise from the cranck case

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi
I'd look around the belt drives and check the Alternator etc. as sounds travels so be absolutely sure the sound is coming from the crankcase as my next suggestion(s) get a bit more involved. The first thing I would check is the flex plate , this is the drive plate that connects the Engine's crankshaft to the Torque convertor , its a matter of removing the inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing and having a look to see if there is any cracking...these have been known to crack. The next item will involve removing the oil pan for an inspection. The 2.5 uses two counter rotating chain driven counterweights in a module attached to the bottom of the engine these are designed to cancel the inherent 4 cyl vibration to provide one with an absolutely smooth running engine. Your clicking could be coming from the chain that drives the counterweights as there is a chain guide and a tensioner that can be checked if the chain is loose. Normally this system is quite trouble free. Keep in mind that these are my best guesses going by your description , its always a plan to check engine mounting hardware etc. etc. before creating a whole bunch of unnecessary work.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Mechanic's Corner