Transmission Help

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Transmission Help

Postby Lickerson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:24 pm

So I have a 86 Plymouth Reliant with a 2.2L and an automatic 3 speed transmission. Being the dumbass I am, I slammed the transmission from reverse to drive and broke some stuff inside. I now have drive and all 3 gears, so I still daily drive it. Nuetral is now like a first gear, park and reverse both go nowhere. I am looking for advice on if it would be smarter to replace the transmission with a new one, or rebuild the one that’s in the car. I do know a bit about cars, I recently replaced the wheel bearings, ball joints, and a half shaft but I’m by not mean a professional. Is it worth taking on the task of rebuilding this transmission or am I better off buying a new one? Should I just live without reverse? Is this something I can do at a home garage or something I should let a professional do? Thanks for the help.
Lickerson

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant coupe 2.2L

Re: Transmission Help

Postby mikey Cee » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Had a similar problem with my 1996 Ford Ranger. The problem was the bearings wore out on the shift linkage once repaired I had access to reverse and park. Maybe something similar got bent underneath on the linkage. Who knows? Mike
mikey Cee

Car Information: 1986 lebaron convertible less than 36,000 miles

Return to Mechanic's Corner