Automatic to 5-speed conversion help

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Automatic to 5-speed conversion help

Postby smith356 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:16 pm

I have an 84 Dodge 600 convertible. It's the Turbo model. I want to convert it to a 5-speed - I've seen posts on other sites where people have done this. I recently bought a 520 trans with wiring harness and computer. Am I on the right track with this ? I know I still need brackets, cables, shifter and pedals. I'm not sure what models I should get them from - any ideas ? Has anyone here done a conversion - and can you tell me how difficult it is ?? Much obliged ! Jim
Jim
smith356

Car Information: 2 1984 & 1 1986 Dodge 600 turbo convertibles

Re: Automatic to 5-speed conversion help

Postby Butch » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:45 am

Your best bet would buy a donor car, one with a 520 or 555 trans. Those shifters are getting scarce, I'm kicking myself for not getting a spare when I had the chance. You wouldn't have to change the computer or wiring though.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 1of10K » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:28 am

Just some thoughts that might help, I had previously taken the console out of my '82 4 speed Reliant to see how it was put together, it looks like the floor hump was the same on both stick and automatic cars.The floor shift models, both manual and automatic, had their respective brackets tac-welded to the floor for the shifters. It looks like the consoles interchange, with the difference being ,of course, the shifter parts, boot, etc. These same types of reasonings probably apply to the 85-89 models too, it's worth checking out. I do not know if there was any lower firewall reinforcements added to the stick versions that were not needed in the automatics, check this area out too. On my '82 stick shifter, a emblem that says "Front Wheel Drive" was placed in the dash opening where the shift indicators for the automatic trans cars went.
Last edited by 1of10K on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby smith356 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:34 am

Thanks for the input..... I know I still need lots of parts - cables, cable brackets, bobble strut, shifter and probably other items. I did get a harness and computer with the trans. My search continues !!
Jim
smith356

Car Information: 2 1984 & 1 1986 Dodge 600 turbo convertibles

Postby Butch » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:39 am

You may need the axles too, I don't beleive the ones you have will work. read the trans guide here http://www.thedodgegarage.com/
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Hemi-Dude » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:43 pm

smith356 wrote:I have an 84 Dodge 600 convertible. It's the Turbo model. I want to convert it to a 5-speed - I've seen posts on other sites where people have done this. I recently bought a 520 trans with wiring harness and computer. Am I on the right track with this ? I know I still need brackets, cables, shifter and pedals. I'm not sure what models I should get them from - any ideas ? Has anyone here done a conversion - and can you tell me how difficult it is ?? Much obliged ! Jim

Go and read how I did it on my Chrysler TC my Maserati on the Allpar site. I hope I may say this without reprisals.
Your Aries is basically the same platform. You may have trouble using your console with the 5 speed shifter.

By the way, I have a great looking '84 LeBaron Convert with Mark Cross leather interior that needs an engine and a new home.
It's a 2.6L but a nice Turbo 2.2 or 2.5 would really make it run good. Anyone interested?
Hemi-Dude

Return to Mechanic's Corner