need help 1982 lebaron conv

Go here to see all the News and Articles regarding Chrysler Products, or post your own.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

need help 1982 lebaron conv

Postby vitacura68 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:12 am

PLS PLS HELP/ LAST WEEK I BOUGHT A 1982 LEBARON CONV IT HAS 69000K ORIGINAL MILES I PICKED IT UP
IN NEWPORT RI AND DROVE IT ABOUT 30 MILES TO NEW BEDFORD MA IT RAN FIND UNTIL I GOT HOME THEN THE RIGHT WINDOW WLD NOT GO UP OR DOWN SO I FIGURE I NEED A NEW MOTOR/ THEN AS I WAS DRIVING THE CAR WOULD
STALL SINCE I FOUND OUT THE JERK I BOUGHT IT FROM PUT A TROJAN BOAT BATTERY IN IT AND AS I WAS DRIVING
IT KEEPS MISFIRING SO I SAID TO MYSELF I KNOW THERE IS A WHOLE IN THE MUFFLER AND TAILPIPE BUT THE WAY
THE ENGINE IS MISFIRING ITS EITHER THE PLUGS OR CAP OR ROTOR OR CARB HOW DO I DO A TEST TO SEE WHY ITS
MISFIRING SO BAD I THINK I GOT TAKEN AS BY THE LOOKS OF THE CAR IT HAS BEEN SITTING OUTSIDE IN NEW ENGLAND
BUT I CANT BELIEVE THE MANIFOLD IS BAD WITH ONLY 69K ON IT ANY IDEAS EVEN WHEN I GOT A JUMP IT WOULD STILL DIE IF I DIDNT GV IT THE GAS EVEN IN NEUTRAL WHEN I WAS AT A STOP LIGHT

PLS ADVISE

THANKS KENNY P.S. COULD IT BE THE CARB AIR FILTER,
vitacura68

Car Information: 1982 chrtysler lebaron convertible

Re: need help 1982 lebaron conv

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon May 14, 2012 11:02 pm

I would start out by checking the battery voltage and checking whether or not the car is charging the battery. Its possible that you chargingsystem (regulator/alternator) is not working and that the battery gradually died as you were driving it. If battery and chargin system is ok then start checking other things like spark level, timing, vacuum level and response, etc. Misfiring can be alot of things (plugs, cap, timing, running too lean, major engine problem, etc.) Unlikely that it is the air filter.

Did you let it cool down and then retry. Maybe it only runs good while the choke is still on?

Did you check the plugs condition and engine compression?
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby vitacura68 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:29 pm

tried everthing when it stalled when im driving below 20 miles hr then i hv to turn it over and keep to the floor until it starts yesterday i kept it to the floor and wldnt start had it towed cld it be a bad fuel filter
or its runnung to rich even after we ajusted the timing ,weputnew plugs checked timing and choke and vacuum lines
vitacura68

Car Information: 1982 chrtysler lebaron convertible

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri May 18, 2012 3:01 pm

You could have carburetor issues and need a carb rebuild. The carbs are very problematic on these cars in comparison to the earlier ones from the 50's , 60's and early 70's.

I would also perform (or have a mechanic perform) basic engine checks including a compression test and vacuum gage checks to make sure the engine is basically sound.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Silverbeard » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:10 pm

You most likely have the Mitsubishi 2.6L engine and the Mikuni carbs should only be worked on by someone that knows that carb well.
Those engines have a reputation for either running forever :) or forever a problem :evil:

Cheers

Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Return to Historic and Current K-Car Information