K-Car Pick and pull hotspot

Moderator: Webmaster

K-Car Pick and pull hotspot

Postby Evilsmuff » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm

I realise that the majority of members on this site are american, but this is a location that could potentially be a gold mine. I have been scavenging my local pick and pull for 4 years now and have never yet left without satisfaction, minus body parts for my 2dr caravelle. there is 99% always, (Because I don't own the business I can't place a guarantee,) some form of a k-car to grab from. my first time in they had an 86 lebaron convertable, grey, in the chrysler line up. last week, 86 dodge 600 2.2 turbo. v6 new yorkers or 5th avenue's are the popular pick, but you are quite likely to find plenty of parts for the 2.2 or the 2.5 4 cyl options. parts, I would assume, are universal across the border so if you ever feel like a road trip up to Calgary Alberta Canada, you may find that piece you've been looking for for a while. side note. I can't find verry many details on the plymouth caravelle 2dr with vynil top. I may just be a bit egotistical, but is that body style a rarer find? I'm in the process of restoring her, dropping the 2.5 for a 2.2 turbo 1. she was my first car and i haven't been willing to part with her quite yet.
Evilsmuff

Car Information: Caravelle 1986 2dr, 1985 4dr, 600 1987 4dr

Re: K-Car Pick and pull hotspot

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Welcome to the club fellow Canadian. 8) Thank you so much for the lead. As for your car, you have the rarest and most endangered K-car in the world. 99.7% of all Canadian Caravelle K-cars have been destroyed forever and you don't know how many years we Americans at this site have been begging Canadians for help in locating living Caravelles for documentation. We want PICTURES, PICTURES, please. Congratulations on being our FIRST member with the TWO door Caravelle K-car. Two door Caravelles were never available in the United States, nor was the 1983-1984 Plymouth Caravelle 4dr Sedan. On the internet, these special Canadian Caravelles only appear for sale ONCE or TWICE a year and usually never the 83 or 86 model year. I did do some research and below are the sales and production stats for the rarest, most endangered K-car in the world. The following figures were really production figures taken from ancient yellowed American World Almanacs I have. I did an estimate and divided the numbers between August and Septemeber to break
out by model year. It appears, unless I am wrong, that all Caravelles were modified in the United States and exported to your country as cloned two door or four door models. Any help you can give us in getting pics and telling us what the grill and taillights looked like would be appreciated. 8) :

1983-1986 Canadian Plymouth Caravelles

Sales:

1983 Plymouth Caravelle Coupe 1,731
1983 Plymouth Caravelle Sedan 2,906

1983 Plymouth Caravelle K: 4,637

1984 Plymouth Caravelle Coupe 2,058
1984 Plymouth Caravelle Sedan 13,632

1984 Plymouth Caravelle K: 15,690

1985 Plymouth Caravelle Coupe 1,911

1986 Plymouth Caravelle Coupe 740

1983-1986 Plymouth Caravelle Coupe 6,440
1983-1984 Plymouth Caravelle Sedan 16,538

Total Canadian Caravelle Ks 22,978

WHERE DID THEY ALL GO! EXTINCT FOREVER.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Evilsmuff » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 am

I will be heading down to lethbridge to continue my restoration work on her, I will take as many pictures as i can muster. Currently, the only picture i have is of the car up on blocks with the 2.5 engine and tranny sitting beside her. I did figure that she was a rarity though. i have only ever seen one other like her in my lifetime. That was near ten years ago and it was in poor rusted condition. there was an auto show I attended 5 years ago that had a restored 86 caravelle 2dr convertable, white, with wood paneling. beautiful vehicle honestly, with a lush red interior. so you now have a report of 3 2dr caravelles in the span of 10 years. :) as for pics, there are brief videos involving the vehicle on youtube. I'm not too sure if you get a really good shot of her off hand but I still have plenty other video's to watch. the basis is not for the car itself, just the group of friends who rode in it. look up the username evilsmuff, I will try to post something better in the relatively near future. caution, language and relatively poor humor.
Evilsmuff

Postby Evilsmuff » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:02 am

Ok, I just came back from the calgary Pick and Pull looking for vacuum lines for my 2.2 turbo1 and a few parts for my 98 mercury mistake (mistique). here's the tally from the yard.

12 new yorkers ranging from the early 80s to the early 90s, 2.2, 2.2t, 3.0v6 options
4 colts, all mid 80s, three with the mitsubishi engine, one with the 2.2t
1 horison 84 2dr convertible
1 reliant k 88 wagon
5 acclaims all with the 2.2
2 daytona's 86's
3 5th ave, early 90s

there was probly more, but I was busy looking for intact vacuum lines that I pulled from the daytona. I'm telling you guys, canada for parts! this is just calgary AB. lethbridge pick and pull locations have plenty of k's with the 2.2, 2.5 and the 3.0v6 option. no turbo's though. i also found something out while i was there. cash for clunkers in america is way different than in alberta at least. we don't destroy the clunker, we part it out. apparently there's videos on youtube regarding the destruction of older cars, no matter the make. they seize the engine and crush the car. no parting out allowed. if you think its worth your while to come, friends, i'm near certain that you'll leave with your parts. I am willing to scavenge for you too if you want. personal message me and i will work with you to find parts you need. and so you know, i will send the parts with my reciept so you know im not trying to profit. just trying to help. :) ...pick and pull is my favorite place to shop honestly... i go there just to take things apart anyways. :lol:

that's all for now.
Evilsmuff

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:10 am

California is the worst. They are even clunking stuff over 30 years old in mint shape.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Evilsmuff » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:32 am

i know i heard the details from this rich guy i was talking to who was looking at one of the colts. pouring a silica solution into the oilpan to seize the engine of a corvette was the example he gave me. there is just no respect for historical pieces of art any more. nostalga, (probably spelt way wrong lol) has got lost with the next generation. my generation honestly. vehicles past the 10 year mark are considered to be crap in all areas of the auto industry. its meant to be an effort to keep the auto and oil industries afloat as people have grown to be too knowledgeable about how to work themselves around the system and save a buck or two. examples: costs less to 1) repair a vehicle by yourself than to go to the mechanic, 2) keep the old clunker running than buy new, 3) make minor adjustments to the fuel supply to provide a higher milage vehicle. it is my belief that anything pre fuel injection can provide better fuel economy with the proper adjustment to the carborator. dont get me wrong, im mechanically inclined, not educated by any stretch of the imagination. the government and the oil industry would not want us as regular consumers to know and understand these details. btw, the auto industry has had the technological means for an immencely more fuel economic engine for a 4X4 pickup, all the tourque capacity, for about 15 to 20 years now. a family friend aquired, by accident, an f-350 pickup that did 1000mpg per tank easily without a load to bear down on it. the thing is that milage is not beneficial to the oil companies, and when entire industries, almost countries, are run from the revenue of that specific venue, you can infer from there. ford bought the truck back with the deal of a new truck every two years, fully loaded, for 10 or 20 years, i cant remember which it was. the truck itself was a prototype that wasnt to be released to the general public due to these factors, and the details of this were not released to the media. bit of intreauging carfacts for you to ponder and research. the friend could be full of it too.
Evilsmuff

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Wow.......interesting!

When you take into consideration the Big "3" were almost put out of business themselves because folks were buying foriegn models more and more because among other factors "fuel economy"!!

One would think if they (Ford for instance) really do have this type of technology (sp?) to actually gain more MPG they would be throwing it out there in their cars now, and run the foreign automakers and GM and Chrysler into the ground.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Evilsmuff » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:37 pm

the big oil companies, (examples like texaco or shell) would loose major profit if they followed through. when the plans for the better fuel economic vehicles came out, the oil companies bought all rights and vaulted the idea. and now we have hybrids on the road.... first electric car was prototyped long ago but never saw the market... it was efficient too! if my memory serves correct, it was chrysler's concept as well.
Evilsmuff

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:33 am

Electric cars enjoyed popularity between the mid-19th century and early 20th century, when electricity was among the preferred methods for automobile propulsion, providing a level of comfort and ease of operation that could not be achieved by the gasoline cars of the time. Advances in ICE technology soon rendered this advantage moot; the greater range of gasoline cars, quicker refueling times, and growing petroleum infrastructure, along with the mass production of gasoline vehicles by companies such as the Ford Motor Company, which reduced prices of gasoline cars to less than half that of equivalent electric cars, led to a decline in the use of electric propulsion, effectively removing it from important markets such as the United States by the 1930s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car

And it seems the story of the 100 mpg carb has been around almost as long.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Evilsmuff » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:58 am

... :oops: lol. i guess you learn something new every day. i had hear the story of the 200mpg truck from my grandfather who said he knew the guy... and by the looks of what you linked, that guy "pulled his leg." I as well was never made aware untill now that EV technology was over a century old... facinating though. i'll bite my tongue till i research what i think i know from now on, never mind the source. thanks for pointing that out to me though.
Evilsmuff

Next

Return to K-Car Boneyards/Junkyard Finds