rare parts we need to keep an eye out for!!!

Moderator: Webmaster

rare parts we need to keep an eye out for!!!

Postby capev86 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:19 am

hey gang:

just figured we ought to compile a list of the super rare parts we need to keep our eyes out for. personally, i'm interested in parts for plain jane k cars (aries and reliant) and think there should be a separate listing for the fancier cars like 400/600, lebaron, etc.

what comes to my mind: bucket seats and center console for 85-89 cars. i like an auto on the column like my 86 k wagon has, but these parts are awesome if you want to do a 5spd. granted, they are not the most rare pieces, but SE and LE trim cars came with bench seats.

and the coolest part i can think of....the 125mph speedo from a cop package car. i want one of these for my k wagon for when i get the 2.5 T2 i'm putting together installed. looking at well over 200hp and able to top 150mph and it would be a really nice piece to have.

chime in if you guys have an idea on something i'm missing. i just received my 86 aries dealer brochure, and as i thought....my car already has every possible option (w/ wood tone applique delete).
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Re: rare parts we need to keep an eye out for!!!

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:30 pm

1981 parts especially.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby nszotovich » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:39 am

1982-3 alloy Road wheels for sure
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby TWHansen » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:19 am

Town & Country woodgrain trim parts. Especially the round plugs as these disintegrate as often as not when removing the woodgrain moldings. Remember, the T&C convertible trim was basically hand-made from the stock wagon parts in production, so wagon parts can suffice when restoring the convertibles.

Hm...thought just occurred to me...the original '40's Town & Country woodies came in sedan and coupe variants as well...wonder if anybody's thought to whip up a K-based homage to those ideas...
TWHansen

Car Information: 1984 Reliant woody

Postby capev86 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:14 am

1987-89 Aries/Reliant ONLY "shorty" center console for the a520 5spd cars. unlike the earlier trans w. the shifter rods under the floorboard, the 87+ transmissions use cables and this console was built to cover the unit and where the cables went through the center hump. much more aesthetically pleasing (to my eyes) than the big center console used on 85-89 floor auto cars. exceedingly rare as everyone was opting for an auto trans by the late 80's. i have seem pics of maroon and blue interiors and i'm sure gray was another choice. just like with the bucket seats, tan (or almond as Chrysler called it) is exceeding rare with the big console. i have NEVER seen a tan version of the little 5spd console and would pay good money for one for my 86 k wagon that will be getting a 568/523 hybrid trans after the resto work is done.

here are pics of the big auto console and shorty 87-89 only 5spd console:

Last edited by capev86 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
capev86
Car Fan

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Here are two "K" car items I wish were easier to find:

Bumper Nerf strips. Most of the original K cars I encounter, even those with low mileage, have scuffed Nerf Strips. These are the protective strips that go across the center of the bumpers. The 1985-86 LeBaron Nerf strips, being chromed, are very vulnerable to damage. The '85 LeBaron Mark Cross convertible I recently purchased, a 25K original mile car, has scuff marks on both the front and rear Nerf strips and I am having a hard time finding replacements. I wish someone could reproduce these.

Front Marker Plate Brackets: The majority of the LeBaron convertibles I have looked at do not have a front marker plate bracket and front plates are required in many states, my home state of Connecticut included. A few cars I have seen have the front marker plate screwed directly into the front bumper, which looks terrible and also destroys the Nerf strip. If you are in a salvage yard and encounter a Lebaron K with an intact front marker plate bracket, I suggest you pull it off. Luckily, my new '85 had its original bracket, but I had to really hunt to find one for my '82 before Marty at Arizona Parts was able to come up with one for me.
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Postby capev86 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:55 pm

you guys are gonna hate me.....i just sent payment for an 88 aries 2dr w/ the factory 5spd (and console i want) and a turbo motor swap. when i get it shipped up here in a couple weeks i will be pulling parts for my k wagon (console and floor shift mount, clutch/brake pedal setup, etc). thinking i will trade the 2.2 turbo and a520 towards the 523/568 hybrid trans i want and a couple other bits. the rest of the interior will be available if someone wants to pay shipping or pickup. the other reason i'm getting the car is that it is rust free underneath and even the 2dr has the same sheet metal below the door jams. if someone could find me an absolutely mint 4 door body to cut up instead, i would consider a swap if you can meet me up here. this would be great for someone with a rust bucket or wreck that has a good running drive train to drop in. the car is nice but it is a beater and not a show queen. i will post in the for sale section when i get the car in front of me!
capev86
Car Fan

Postby capev86 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:16 am

as some of you may know, i have my parts car now.

i have had contact with arizonaparts and he has a few items that i need for my k wagon. and he has a parts book for these cars and has given me a few part numbers (he has only some of the items needed in his inventory).

i might ask him if he can get me the part number for the 125mph cop package speedometer, unless someone else has the number handy. should be able to disassemble the gauge cluster and swap the speedo!
capev86
Car Fan

Postby Dodge Aries K » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:34 am

Dude, I was going to buy that car and fix it up nice... Aww man...
Dodge Aries K

Postby capev86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 am

some part numbers:

4051786: 85mph speedometer
4051793: 125mph speedometer
4051776: oil pressure gauge

4051806: 85-87 standard circuit board (oil idiot light)
4051807: 85-87 board for w/ oil pressure gauge

4375192: 88-89 board for w/ oil gauge
4375193: 88-89 standard board

EK1 is the code found on interior trim that is Almond. the double seat belt setup for bucket seats i needed for my k wagon with 5spd swap was F698EK1. just got it from Arizona Parts along with M945EK1 which is the driver side door threshold for 4 door k. wish he had the passenger side piece also, but even parts voice can't find me the right side one. although that doesn't mean a dealer doesn't have one somewhere (i got my 125mp speedometer via dealer networking).

i couldn't get the mask/lens specified for the optional gauge cluster, but it is not really needed. just cut the mask above the right directonal so that the gauge shows through instead. it is set back so that it illuminated just like the other gauges. also, the gauge is positioned up and to the right of being centered with the hole. that gives the effect that it looks centered when viewing it from normal driving position.

capev86
Car Fan

Next

Return to K-Car Boneyards/Junkyard Finds