83 dodge 600 es

Go here to find your favorite cars and necessary parts. Here you can buy, sell, or trade!

Moderator: Webmaster

83 dodge 600 es

Postby kceedesigns » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:41 am

I bought this car from a older gentleman that was so happy to sell it to someone who would take care of it. I drove it for 6 months then it quit. I believe it is the timing belt. I can't really afford to fix it on my income. I am considering it, but it can't stay parked at a friends house forever. The body is gorgeous, with only one small dent by the passenger side marker. and another I believe on the same side, rear. Anyhow, it is white with red cloth interior. Fading in the rear window. I don't know if anyone is interested in this car. I went online to find a place for info, and came across this site. I don't have any photos of it, but I am having him bring it back to my house. My last resort is honestly the wrecking yard. I rent and I can't have it here all winter. I should have done it sooner, but ya know how life is. I wish this car was still my driver!! If anyone is interested at all in further info please respond. (Perhaps to talk me into repairing it......lol.) If I am allowed to give out my phone number to an interested person, I would be more than happy to talk more about it. I can get photos taken as soon as it is parked back at my house. It has about 78,000 original miles on it.
kceedesigns

Car Information: 1983 Dodge 600 es

Re: 83 dodge 600 es

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:09 am

Welcome to the club. Oh yes, please send pics. Less than 125 of these 83 Dodge 600s left. 8)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Veronica » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:38 am

Those are so cheap to fix by virtue of being simple for the mechanics. The previous owner of my Aries gave me detailed information including something that K Cars have non-interference motors meaning that when the belt breaks just getting the belt replaced will do the trick, not like many Japanese engines which can have lots of other parts break in the process. Our mechanic threw timing belt change/replacement in for free on our last service about 6 months ago. It is cheaper to repair than to replace, few cars have a lower cost of ownership than a K Car.
Veronica

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries Station wagon, 1982 Dodge B250

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:09 pm

If it has the the 2.2 liter engine it is very easy to change the timing belt and should not cost very much even if you have a mechanic do the repair. I have been told the 2.6 liter engine is harder to work on.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Veronica » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:24 pm

K-CAR_WAGON wrote:If it has the the 2.2 liter engine it is very easy to change the timing belt and should not cost very much even if you have a mechanic do the repair. I have been told the 2.6 liter engine is harder to work on.

I had a 2.6L once. It had a timing chain not a belt. Know this because when it broke it went clank clank and cost a whole lot to replace.

The 2.5L has a belt because I just had it done. (Think that the 2.2 is pretty much the same, because I saw a bunch of them at SCAD and they look exactly the same as a 2.5 I still cant tell them apart). Of course I dont really know for certain, but with how many common parts that there must be between them it wouldnt make sense for them to be different. I do electronics engineer work and completely understand the manufacturing process and it is cheaper to use common designs and parts than to create different ones.

So I postulate that unless there was a loud clanking sound that it was indeed a belt and therefore a really cheap, easy fix.
However if it was a 2.6 I am very certain that it would be a chain and quite expensive.

Now that brings up a thought. Should one have a 2.6 why couldnt they swap the engine to a 2.5? My engine mechanic actually charges less to swap a motor for a rebuilt one than to rebuild one himself because the shops that rebuild en masse are specialized and better equipped.

That brings up another question: do engines have specific numbers that must match to a VIN in order to affect value? And where are these numbers (if they exist)?
Veronica

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries Station wagon, 1982 Dodge B250

Postby kceedesigns » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Its been awhile since I talked to the mechanic that looked at my car. I am rusty on the details at this time, but if I remember it is a 2.6 and I was told it was a timing chain. When Tom brings it back to my house I'll get photos and refresh my memory on the details. I didn't consider fixing it when I was told 900.00 for repairs. I didn't have it. I still don't know what I am going to do, but I have to either let it go or fix it. I don't want to junk it, but again like i said I don't have anyone who is interested in it at this time and I'm not sure where I would store it. It has no rust, and when I last looked at it it was in great condition. It is only a few blocks away so he should have no problem getting it back to my house soon. I have vacation days coming so will try to deal with this soon. Reading thru the posts, thank you and please keep the info coming. call if you'd like, just leave a voice mail so I know what its about, I don't answer unless I have you in my phone. 509-951-7492
kceedesigns

Postby kceedesigns » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:30 pm

I have the car back at my house, washed and photos taken. My daughter has her laptop with her for the weekend, I am at the library and no way to download photos.
I have another question, What does ES mean. I thought it was a Dodge 600ES. I only see Dodge 600 on the car, so I must have looked up wrong info. Anyway, it is a 4 door sedan, and it is in better shape that I remember, and Tom thinks it is the distributor, not the timing chain. It might mean better news for my budget and the car. One can only hope. It is a 2.6 and 4 cylinder, noisy, gutless wonder. LOL, but it was a really nice car while it ran. Power everything inside. I may put a battery in it next week and make sure all that works still. Appreciate any tips! Thanks.
kceedesigns

Postby rare_ram » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:45 am

Veronica, swapping between 2.6, 2.2 or 2.5 will require wiring swaps too, as would carb to TBI or Turbo. The block number on all cars has part of the VIN stamped on it, that's where the phrase matching numbers comes from.

Kcee, the designation ES means Euro Sport.
rare_ram
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Lancer ES

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:50 am

Might be as cheap of a fix as replacing distributor cap, rotor button, and hall effect sensor (pick-up coil) located inside the distributor under the rotor button. All in all about $45 worth of parts.

When it stopped running, did you mean it would no longer start??

as in it would crank over, but would not start OR when you turned the key to start nothing happened??

You did not elaborate one way or another. :mrgreen:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby kceedesigns » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:33 pm

The last few times I drove it, it would die, and I could get it going again, but after two weeks of that it finally died and I couldn't get it going again. It would try to turn over but it was like it was out of gas, (Full TANK!!) I figured it needed some work so I had it towed to my mechanic. He said a screw was missing from around the distributor, and the timing chain was messed up. However, from talking to you guys, it couldn't have broken. I don't know exactly what it needed but he quoted 900.00 At the time and still now, I can't afford that. Tom thinks its the distributor and probably needs timed. He said he couldn't get a spark? at all. I don't know for sure, and I'm still looking for confirmation on the problem. I am trying to get a photo downloaded right now. Unfamiliar with this laptop so may wait til tonight.
kceedesigns

Next

Return to For Third Party Sellers: Guests, Ebay, Craigslist, etc.