Help...need parts or suggestions

Go here to find your favorite cars and necessary parts. Here you can buy, sell, or trade!

Moderator: Webmaster

Help...need parts or suggestions

Postby bixbygd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:29 pm

All,
My 1985 Town and Country Wagon threw a rod! Engine case is broke. Hole in the radiator. Don't have a lot of money to work on the car (wife not happy that I still want to work on it!)

I know I will have to replace the radiator.
As far as the engine goes...it's a 2.6l with a brand new carb (it was just starting to run good!). Does anyone have a lead on parts for that engine?
Additionally...is it hard to switch to the 2.2l engine? (I can find a lot of those engines in junk yards around Houston).

Any suggestions or info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Geoff
bixbygd

Car Information: 1985 Chrysler Lebaron Wagon (Town and Country)

Re: Help...need parts or suggestions

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm

I don't have any first hand knowledge on an engine changeover from the 2.6 to 2.2, but I suspect it would not be worthwhile. I think the computers, wiring harnesses, engine accesories, etc and maybe even transaxles, . are all different. It might make more sense to try to find a good low mileage used or rebuilt 2.6 engine to swap in.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

I noticed this short block on ebay. Not sure if it would fit, the quality or if you also need other parts. I am not the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REMAN-DO ... ccessories

I suspect you would do better to try to try to find a used engine in junkyard or a whole used car with a good low mileage motor that could be scrapped.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby bixbygd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks! I'll keep this one in mind. Again, limited budget, but at this point I think I would enjoy the challenge!
bixbygd

Car Information: 1985 Chrysler Lebaron Wagon (Town and Country)

Postby nszotovich » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Good Luck!!!
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:08 pm

A 2.2 would fit of course,but you would need all new mounts,new transmission,and all wiring harnesses,or else go with a non feedback carb and a VW distributor modified for the 2.2,and a Pertronix electronic module inside to replace the points.New headpipe/catalytic converter too,and throttle cable.And radiator,hoses,etc etc.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby capev86 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:32 am

how about replacing that blown "astron" g54b 2.6 with a "sirius" 4g63 2.0 or 4g64 2.4 from a front wheel drive mitsubishi product. the 2.4 will be nearly as powerful and far more efficient (smaller pistons). the ram 50 uses the wide bolt pattern (except the g52b 2.0 with manual trans) so avoid those as donors. newer engines will have fuel injection and roller camshafts w/ hydraulic lifters that don't require adjustment (features that the 2.6 sadly lacks). you might even be able to use a 5spd from an eclipse.

if you want to learn about the mitsu 4 cylinder options: http://www.projectzerog.com/ this is the definitive forum for tuning mitsubishi 4 cylinders including the evo. they have an engine list page to tell you exact what combo came in what car model, what year (astron or sirus family, engine size, single cam or dohc, 6 or 7 bolt crank, etc). i belong to several mitsu 4cyl, groups, a 6cyl page and 3 mighty max forums because i own an 87 ram 50.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Return to For Third Party Sellers: Guests, Ebay, Craigslist, etc.