1985 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2 Turbo, Oxnard, Ca.

Go here to find your favorite cars and necessary parts. Here you can buy, sell, or trade!

Moderator: Webmaster

1985 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2 Turbo, Oxnard, Ca.

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:58 am

I visited this seller. Car currently won't start. Sounds like a starter to me. It attempts to crank:

http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/2564536111.html

1985 Chrysler New Yorker Classic Turbo K-Car - $1500 (Oxnard, Ca.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-08-24, 5:55PM PDT
Reply to: sale-wjftk-2564536111@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A classic vehicle that is very hard to find. Appears to need VERY little to get it going. For more information on these cars
or to join the club, visit the Chrysler K-Car Club website at http://forum.chryslerkcar.com. Visit the hyperlinks below for
contact info, additonal pictures, and the other craigslist ad. Contact Vina at 8054880086 or 8056516017 or LudivinaEspinosa(at)hotmail.com.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/2542699416.html

https://picasaweb.google.com/guy.v.coul ... eOxnardCa#

http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/2542699416.html

1984 CHRYSLER NEW YORKER (WHITE) - $700 (OXNARD)

Date: 2011-08-12, 12:55AM PDT
Reply to: sale-stwnm-2542699416@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1984 White Chrysler New Yorker with all the paper work (pink slip)
Last registered for 2009-2010.Currently in Non-Operational status with the DMV.
The car is in a really good condition in terms of exterior and interiors with leather seats.
Just requires a new starter.

Serious Buyers Only.
Call Vina-
Home-8054880086
Cell-8056516017

https://picasaweb.google.com/guy.v.coul ... eOxnardCa#
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: 1985 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2 Turbo, Oxnard, Ca.

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 am

If it tries to crank it's probably not the starter.

Once again, her price is almost reasonable, yours is too high. A Non-running car is a hard sell for more than $300. You could get it to start and then find it has a bad head gasket, bad turbo, bad trans or any other number of problems with it.

Pricing them higher is not going to attract "collectors", it's going to put it out of the price range of anyone even willing to think about saving it. Then when they don't sell because no one was even interested in them at the high price and the owners need them gone in a hurry they get scrapped. Instead of trying to wage a one man war to drive up prices, you should try putting your effort into finding someone who likes the car and wants to save it. Even if it gets fixed and made a daily driver it's better than going to the scrap yard.
MyDodgeDip

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:14 am

Your advice is well taken. Maybe we can try driving up the prices on at least the mint, running ones. Otherwise, most will never be saved.
89ARIES

Postby Baron » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:53 am

You're trying to put the cart before the horse. First there has to be a market. Make it so people want these cars and thus want to save them and then the prices will take care of themselves. If you try to drive them up artificially, people will just say, "Phooey I'll just get that old Taurus down the street." It's cheaper and if this K-car is a classic then so is the Taurus", and there goes your market and your prices.

Ten years ago I could have bought a 78 Chrysler LeBaron I wanted for peanuts, now they are starting to go for several thousand dollars. Why? Because people are finally starting to see their value as a car worth wanting as well as starting to be collectible. If people had tried to sell them ten years ago for what they are getting now, they would have only laughed at as people headed out the door and on to the next car. Now people are coming back and saying, "Man I wish I had bought this ten years ago, I could have gotten it dirt cheap". It will happen to the K-car someday too, probably, but you can't MAKE it happen.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Yes, but you have to remember part of my motivation is that the K is an endangered species. Only 25 years, and no hardtops or 600 4dr Sedans to be found before 1986. Also, there is an antique collectors guide
that places K-cars at the $2500-4000 range, in perfect condition obviously. All you have to do is look around and see that most Ks are not daily drivers anymore, they are DEAD. And, there are a few garage queens hiding for whatever reason. A lot of them are dead too.
89ARIES

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Let me also explain. I feel the K-car has the worst survival rate of any classic in the world. In the last 3 years alone, sales fell 50%, the junkyards are running out.
89ARIES

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:19 pm

89ARIES wrote:Maybe we can try driving up the prices on at least the mint, running ones. Otherwise, most will never be saved.

Trying to artificially "drive up prices" by suggesting high sale prices will not result in more be saved, but less being saved. I've seen quite a few nice old cars sitting outside, gradually deteriorating and eventually ending up as scrap because the seller wanted a unrealistically high price above the current market price. The prices on the mint cars will go up by themselves following the market. In general, for the most part collecting old cars is a poor investment. The cumulative storage, registration, insuracnce and maintenance expenses over the years generally outweights any increase in value. I prefer car prices to stay low so I can afford to buy what I like.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby MyDodgeDip » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:31 am

For the 100 Millionth time, K-Cars are not RARE. Getting harder to find, maybe. Don't see them everyday, maybe (I do see them almost every day...). There will always be another one out there. They made hundreds of thousands of them. I won't even re-type the production figures for K-cars Vs. my 78 Lebaron.... Yes, particular ones are harder to find than others but they are nowhere near extinct. Give me extinct ones and I'll find them. We're still finding one-off Duesenburgs in garages... (I think I may have to save a paragraph like this to copy paste or maybe use a link to it.... I use it enough...)

As for driving up prices... You can try all you want but just because you price a bunch of them around you high will not make them worth it. You will continue to keep them out of the price range of anyone interested in saving them. I did not buy my Aries, Reliant, 600 or Lebaron because they were collector cars, I got them because they were cheap, economical and easy to work on. This is the reason most people save them. I also believe that they're worth saving and all of mine were headed to the crusher before I got to them. The odd ones (convertibles,coupes, Limos, low mileage and clean) will be priced high and some will sell high but for the most part they will sit until the seller puts a reasonable price on them.

As far as I'm concerned trying to drive up the prices is dishonest and not at all what this hobby is about. If that is what you want this club to be about then I'm not interested in being a part of it. This hobby is about enjoying the car you like, helping your fellow members with their cars and educating people. Salvage/Repair/Restoration and Awareness is what I'm all about.
MyDodgeDip

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:30 pm

You've have got me all totally wrong. I take offense. Why do you think I built this club? I guess most of our own members don't consider these cars worth saving. They are HISTORICAL, not just daily drivers. And, I don't go out to artificially inflate prices. I go by Hemmings. Also, 99% of the time when these cars are sold for $200-400, they get destroyed immediately. Also, two of the K-cars are officially extinct, the two 83 limos, and the Canadian 83-85 Caravelle. I tried for years to find one.
89ARIES

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:30 pm

89ARIES wrote:I guess most of our own members don't consider these cars worth saving. . .... Also, 99% of the time when these cars are sold for $200-400, they get destroyed immediately.

Most of the $200-$400 range cars end up being destroyed because they need alot of work, and most people today don't know how or don't want to work on their own cars. For the most part its not practical to pay a mechanic / restoration shop to fix up one of these cars (the labor costs will kill you). (Especially when there are still high quality cars still readily available for far less than you would pay someone else to restore a $200 car.) If you can do the work yourself that is another matter. Personally, I'd like to see as many saved as possible and as many different variants. But, people should buy/use/collect what they like, I prefer the K wagons and the K car deriatives New Yorkers (91-93), which I think are an improvement over the original K cars and generally provide better value.

Hemmings is not the best place to try to price cars. Alot of the asking prices are overinflated.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Next

Return to For Third Party Sellers: Guests, Ebay, Craigslist, etc.