Guy's classic car sweep. 12-16-09

Post all your classic car finds here. Have a cell phone handy. Pics please.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Guy's classic car sweep. 12-16-09

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:56 pm

(Driving)
1970 Chevy Monte Carlo
1977 Buick LeSabre 4dr Sedan
1980s Cadillac El Dorado Coupe
1980s Cadillac Sedan de Ville
1984 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

(Parked)
1960s Cadillac Sedan de Ville Sedan (Seen it before)
1960s Cadillac Sedan de Ville Coupe (Seen it before)
1980s Chevy Caprice (Seen it before)
1980s Lincoln Towncar (Seen it before)
1980s Mazda 626 Sedan Mint (Seen it before)
1970S Pontiac Firebird
1962 Dodge Dart Convertible (Mopar stash under freeway)
1967 Plymouth Barracuda (Mopar stash under freeway)

The Mopar stash under freeway belongs to a private owner who has thwarted
the city of Los Angeles by moving the cars around EVERYDAY. Its a miracle that they are still there years later. I know the Dart runs. The Barracuda window got left open during the last bad rainstorm. Then, 15mns later, the owner had moved it back under the freeway for protection. This is Guy reporting live from LA, where its a war against the forces to wipe out the cars here.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Guy's classic car sweep. 12-16-09

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Remember,these arent classics....

Call them "vintage"....

Yea,that'll work.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Wait a minute, something does not make sense here. Chief just said beetles after 1949 are not called classic. Yet, everyone else says they are classic. So I guess those rare muscle cars under the freeway aren't classics? I think they should be called classics.
89ARIES

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:00 pm

I hope this doesn't cause a forum war. We have had one before over another issue. But, I am going to continue to refer to the K-car as a classic car. Even though it may be true that everything after 1948 is not a classic, enough people use the word classic in the subjective sense and I will continue to do the same. I think the word classic should be revised to mean the following.

1. Anything over 25 years or extremely rare.

And then the word Expensive classic:

For cars worth more than $5000 or those made before 1948.

Actually. my real motive for my designation of classic is that it helps our club survive and puts us a par above the others because we are showing that we are serious about getting these cars saved. We are also setting the benchmark for making the classic car community open to EVERYONE. That is why I let membership be free and open to any person to begin with. We have some non K-car owners like baron that contribute. Also, it encourages price appreciation. I know a lot of people will disagree with me there, but hey, I am a pioneer and I will not let our cars get devalued or tossed away.
89ARIES

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:25 am

I'm not trying to start a war or any thing..... :mrgreen: But this is what I found for definition of a classic:

Classic Car Club of America
The Classic Car Club of America defines a CCCA Classic or is as a fine or distinctive automobile, either American or foreign built, produced between 1925 and 1948. Generally, a Classic was high-priced when new and was built in limited quantities. Other factors, including engine displacement, custom coachwork and luxury accessories, such as power brakes, power clutch, and "one-shot" or automatic lubrication systems, help determine whether a car is considered to be a Classic.

Any member may petition for a vehicle to join the list. Such applications are carefully scrutinized and rarely is a new vehicle type admitted.

This rather exclusive definition of a classic car is not universally followed, however, and this is acknowledged by the CCCA: while it still maintains the true definition of "classic car" is its, it generally uses terms such as CCCA Classic or the trademarked Full Classic to avoid confusion.

United States legal definition
Legally, most states have time-based rules for the definition of "classic" for purposes such as antique vehicle registration; for example, Pennsylvania defines it as "A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance."

Antique Automobile Club of America
The Antique Automobile Club of America defines an antique car as 25 years old or older.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Return to Classic K-Car/other car spottings.