Classic car report. 1-06-2010

Post all your classic car finds here. Have a cell phone handy. Pics please.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Classic car report. 1-06-2010

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Yesterday, I literally saw 4 1980s Oldsmobile Cutlass Cieras driving around. One was a coupe with an aeroback window design. Also:

2 Mint Chrysler Fifth Avenues
3 1970s Lincoln Mark IVs! Whaaaatattt. Cooool.
1980s Buick Skylark (late 80s H body)

Today, I found out the owner of that late 80s Aries Sedan near my house
got in an accident. He took out his fender. Time to make a bet. This K-car owner's
car will end up in pick-a-part in the next few months. I had tagged his car. I got a pic of his car today for you guys to enjoy. Just have to upload them. I swear, half the Ks I find get into accidents. Its like these drivers don't care and just say "Oops, I hit my econobox. Didn't see the wall. Oh well, it'll buff out. Just a K-car. Time to get rid of it." :x This guy had scuffed his bumpers and his carelessness is probably going to put another K under the R.I.P. No respect for the
K. The paint was still in good shape as well. If he had joined the club, he might
of ended up bumping other K-cars, who knows.

Got a pic of a very well worn and partly rusted out 70s Buick LeSabre 4dr HT
that belonged to a Mexican. The metal around the vinyl was totally gone and there
were some swiss cheese gaps. But the car was totally original. Almost no paint.

Also got pics of a Chevy Sprint pulling out and a mint red Malibu coupe from early 80s zooming by.

Pics to follow soon.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Classic car report. 1-06-2010

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:03 am

I remember on an old episode of COPS,the cops came to a residence where a mid 70s Monte Carlo was parked,the trashy female resident (who owned the car) was standing next to it,and I swear the roof was literally hovering over the rest of the car as rust had totally encircled the vinyl roof covering and the holes were inches wide.She had called the police because someone had broken out the rear window....
I think that was the least of her problems...
88AriesLEwagon

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:10 am

Nice. This Buick I saw today was a California car. However, virtually every 70s car left standing here in Cali that had a vinyl roof more often than not has severe rust or holes around the roof area. 70s sheetmetal rusted through so fast it was said. The car I saw was solid, but the entire metal area between the trunk and the vinyl roof was gone. I could see the seats through the hole. Must make a nice whistling sound on the freeway. 70s sheetmetal sucked and that is probably 50% of the reason they are gone. Even mint 70s cars are apt to reveal one hole or a spot of cancer.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:17 am

GM was always so proud of ballyhooing that they used ZINCROMETAL in their vehicles to help fend off rust from spreading.The most laughable of all was the vehicle they promoted that treatment the most was Chevy Vega! They also touted that their C/K pickups of that era used a lot of it in rust prone areas.I think they should have demanded their money back from their metal supplier....they got plain steel by the way their vehicles melted away.
The only true promotion of rust protection seemingly was AMC.They used 100% galvanized steel in exterior body panels from like 81-up.Those Eagles sure seemed to hold up excellent.
88AriesLEwagon

Return to Classic K-Car/other car spottings.